I cannot upgrade Moodle from 1.9.9 to 2.0 owing to the fact the server does not support php_extension/intl , pcizip, and soap

I cannot upgrade Moodle from 1.9.9 to 2.0 owing to the fact the server does not support php_extension/intl , pcizip, and soap

by Mitch K -
Number of replies: 13

I am trying to upgrading the Moodle 1.9.9+ (Build: 20101020) to 2.0. Requirements for 2.0 are: PHP 5.2.8, MySQL 5.0.25 or Postgres 8.3 or MSSQL 2005 or Oracle 10.2

My hosting server has:
MySQL Version: 5.0.45
Perl Version:5.8.8
PHP Version: 5.2.12

However, when I uploaded Moodle 2.0 and try to upgrade. Then, Moodle did automated check before upgrading and then, I got an alert as this.

Then, I contacted the customer service and received the following answer.

Unfortunately, php_extension/intl , pcizip, soap is not supported on our server. Hence, you are unable to upgrade the application. I suggest you to sign up for a VPS account.

I thought my host server met the requirements but actually my server did not meet the requirments. And a VPS account is much expensive and I cannot afford it. because my site is a personal site. Are there any ways to upgrade my moodle to 2.0 or I cannot upgrade it, as the customer service says?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitch K

Re: I cannot upgrade Moodle from 1.9.9 to 2.0 owing to the fact the server does not support php_extension/intl , pcizip, and soap

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

DON'T UPGRADE...!!! There are some problems when upgrading from Moodle 1.9.x to Moodle 2.0. So rather than lose everything you have done so far better stick with 1.9.

However, if you are just wanting Moodle 2.0 to learn more about it, then you might be better to set up a local server on your PC WAMP Server has PHP 5.3 and is pretty easy to use, well I have found it so, and I'm not that much of a techie as some would believe. I just read the manual. smile

Here's a link to the site...

Presentation - Explains it all...

http://www.wampserver.com/en/presentation.php

And here's where you down-load it...

http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

Cheers,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: I cannot upgrade Moodle from 1.9.9 to 2.0 owing to the fact the server does not support php_extension/intl , pcizip, and soap

by Marc Grober -
Ever get the feeling that no one listens?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Often...LOL

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mitch K -

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your advice and I sorry for my late reply.

To set up a local server on my computer sounds too much for me at the moment.  But I might try it someday.  Thank you very much for your advice.

Mitch

In reply to Mitch K

by Manish Verma -

Hi Mitch,

There are several options for you. Whichever option you opt for, there are some issues with moodle 2.0 which may or may not affect your site. If you want to use moodle 2.0, the best thing would be to test upgrade using database copy and moodledata copy and check the site thoroughly.

1. Use another host. There are other hosts where you can have moodle 2.0 installed on shared hosting.
  2. VPS is also cheap at some places and can be very cheap if you can handle linux shell commands.
  3. You can do self hosting.

Manish.

In reply to Manish Verma

by brian avery -

Just a thought, instead of searching moodle for all posts mentioning 2.0 and working out if they are 'issues' or individuall problems, is there a current list of issues (in english) which would allow someone to decide if said issues constitute reasons to upgrade or not to?

I haven't found anything which would allow someone to make a judgement based on comprehensible issues. Maybe I'm being silly but at present (even if I decided weeks ago to go ahead with creating a parallel site on 2.0) it seems like the only way to see if the electicity is on or the bare cables are safe is to...touch them and see how much it hurts!

Brian

In reply to brian avery

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There is only one issue in Moodle 2.0.x Brian, backup and restore from 1.9.x courses, anything else is an individual problem. Like this one:

All this problem is that the server Administrators have not turned on those options in their PHP ini file. All they need do is go to the php.ini file and in Dynamic Extensions section, delte the semi colon at each of the lines for curl, soap and anything else. A public server should have these things turned on anyway. The intl one though requires a download of a new dll which I got from the php site and copied it to the php folder, then edited my php.ini file to include that as an extension. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out, including making a coffee time, then about 2 minutes to fix it, including download, editing, cleaning up a spill, yelling at the kids, patting the cat, kicking the dog off my chair, forgetting where I was, doing the dishes and taking my shoes off. How simple was that? cool

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mitch K -

Hi Mr. fraser,

Thank you very much for your reply and I am sorry for my late reply.  I have just asked the server administrator to turned those options on their php ini files.    Thank you.

Hopefully, they will turn it on and I can upgrade my Moodle to 2.0.  Thank you.

Mitch

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mitch K -

Dear Mr. Fraser,

I asked to "turned on those options in their PHP ini file" as you told me.  But Ihave revieved the answer from the customer service as "We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Unfortunately, zip php extension i not present in our servers. "

So, it seems that I cannot do anything about it. The hosting service is fairly wel-known company but it seems that they do not there are so manythings I cannot do.

Thank you very much for your help.

Mitch

In reply to Manish Verma

by Mitch K -

Hi Manish,

Thank you very much for your advice.

1. Use another host. There are other hosts where you can have moodle 2.0 installed on shared hosting.

I have already paid till May 2012, I will stick until then and I will try to find a new host by then.

2. VPS is also cheap at some places and can be very cheap if you can handle linux shell commands.

My hosting company only offers quite expensive package for VPS

3. You can do self hosting.

I have to learn a lot before hosting my websites by myself.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Mitch

In reply to Mitch K

by Panol Laureiro -

I'm on the same boat here. I've tried to overcome each of the errors I get when making a clean install of 2.0 and I have reached a dead end with the moodle zip php extension on my host (also one with some years on this market). They say it's beyond their support scope.

Would it be possible for developers to come up with a Moodle version that doesn't require this resource? This is an issue that affects a lot of the Moodle users.

Guess I'll have to move servers in the near future. If you know any good options for joomla and moodle, or find a solution to the problem, please PM me. I'll really appreciate it.

In reply to Panol Laureiro

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

The Zip PHP extension is now built into PHP version 5.3 (in the Windows distribution at least, I'm not sure about other platforms) so you don't have to enable any extensions in 5.3. So check which version of PHP your host is running. If they're not on 5.3 then ask them to upgrade - if it's not "beyond their support scope"!

Also, PHP does support the option to use a site-specific php.ini file that is just for your site. So your webhost could setup a custom php.ini file on just your site on the server that has the .zip extension enabled. This way you would have access to the zip functionality, while all the other sites on the server won't be affected.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I thought the zip extension was included in the PHP v5.2.8. I would suggest that if you ask them to upgrade their PHP to the latest version, then activate it, it would be there. The zip extension is not "beyond their support scope." What they are saying is "we do not want to update", in which case it may be better to look for another provider. I suggest you talk to your superiors and make sure they are aware of it. The suggestion to move your site to another provider may come from them.