Unable to indent or move course items right or left?

Unable to indent or move course items right or left?

by Steve Iman -
Number of replies: 8

In previous versions of Moodle I've used hierarchical indenting, along with labels to help student in designing the course page. For some reason I can no longer use the arrow keys which appear at edit to move items left or right. This seems to be the case in both newly built  courses, and ones which were upgraded from 1.9.6. It might be some other sort of issue than theming? I'll show the picture here in Aardvark-Lite though the same inability is manifested locally with the Standard or several other themes I've experimented with. I've done plenty of flushing of cache in case this is a java issue of some sort on a Mac? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Attachment indents.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Iman

Re: Unable to indent or move course items right or left?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve,

1.- Which version of Moodle are you using at the moment?

Which browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers? other machines?

2.- When you say you "can no longer use the arrow keys etc. " what do you mean? what happens when you click on those arrows?

3.- Have you tried to turn debugging mode ON (as admin) and see if any PHP error messages appear when you click on those arrows?

Joseph

PS.- Since you are using a Mac (and I'm not) I hope some Mac user will be able to help you, just in case this was a Mac issue (which I doubt).

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Steve Iman -

Thanks Joseph. I did have debugging on but was not getting error messages, though given some of the warnings at the setting about js etc. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have trained myself to look at logs instead.

I'm such a nut about Mac and so satisfied with Safari that I rely on it, and that seems to be a problem here. I had tried with my laptop and desktop -- even the ipad and I couldn't get those horizontal tabs arrows to work. I could click and see a bit of a flash to know that the control was selected, but past that things looked dead, there was no evidence of page load or anything. But those arrows are functional when I switch to Firefox, which I guess I'll have to learn to dowink

Again, thanks so much.

In reply to Steve Iman

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Steve,

There are some issues being reported using TinyMCE Text Editor on a Safari browser. Druple have a patch which disables TinyMCE for Safari, I presume users are given an alternative. You can in Moodle, use an alternative Text Editor, however, it might not be the best solution for you.

For Joseph's benefit, we are talking 'blockquotes'. The symbol looks like staggered lines and a blue arrow pointing either right or left, and indents like this section is, Joseph.

Other than going into the HTML code, for your text inputs to your page, and adding <blockequot></blockquote> tags around the area of text you want, an adding  blockquote {margin-left: 5px;} in your CSS file, there is little you can do, other than type it up in Safari and then Edit it in FFox.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Iman -

Thanks Mary. I've done a bit of search on "drupal" and TinyMCE. In fact safari suffers some of these problems on that interactive database system as well. There are a variety of patches being implemented depending on versions of TinyMCE, and apparently with mixed results and some unanticipated effects. Best to do as you say and make Firefox my primary browser for now. I'll suggest that students do the same since this might relate to some other bits of strangeness I think I'm experiencing.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Iman

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Steve,

I've submitted a bug report for this in moodle 2.0.0 and it also affects 2.0.1. It's essentially an issue with the Ajax version. Will post a link to the bug report when I'm at a real computer tomorrow.

Andrew
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Steve,

Please see Moodle bug 25675 (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25675). This bug seems to only affect Safari on Mac, but Chrome and Firefox under (at least some) Linux distributions. Possibly other browsers and operating systems are also affected.

As a workaround, you can turn off the AJAX features and this will allow you to move items left/right. Hopefully, it should be patched for 2.0.2.

Hope that this helps,

Andrew
In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Steve Iman -

Thanks Andrew... much appreciated. I'll turn off the AJax for now.

In reply to Steve Iman

Re: Unable to indent or move course items right or left - bug fixed

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The good news is that this bug is fixed in the latest 2.0.1+. Thanks for everyone's help! approve