Importing quizzes from Learnwise

Importing quizzes from Learnwise

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
My college has decided to move from Learnwise to Moodle big grin 

So far we've come up with a file for importing multiple choice quiz questions in learnwise native format (XML) to Moodle big grin

Please extract the attached zip file to moodle\mod\quiz\format.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Importing quizzes from Learnwise

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, wild girl!  Can someone please check and add this to the quiz module?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
How could I resist with a picture like that!!!

I'll have a look asap.

Wild Girl: could you also post some test data (import file) - as I don't use Learnwise I will not be able to generate my own.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Your code is in cvs - I'll add the help stuff tomorrow. And test it properly as soon as you send me a few test cases!  Does it only do multiple choice, or is there likely to be more to come?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Howard, please find attached another test file.

Moving to Moodle seems easier than upgrading to the latest version of Learnwise! wink

by Helen Foster -
Thanks! Please find attached test file (a few maths questions!)

It's only for multiple choice at the moment - I didn't know if anyone else would be interested in other question types...
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Ok all sorted and in CVS. I made a slight modification/addition so that HTML entities are 'reversed' but that was it.

by Helen Foster -
Thanks very much fellow feline friend! big grin
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ray Lawrence -
(Note to self: This weekend. Buy a cat). smile smile
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Howard Miller -
You know it makes sense!

Can we have a cat smiley in 1.5????
In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Hi,

My clever cat-loving colleague has added the script for importing multiple answer multiple choice quiz questions in learnwise native format to Moodle.  (Multiple answer multiple choice and ordinary multiple choice are completely separate quiz types in Learnwise.) Please find attached replacement file.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Feline friend, please find attached multiple answer multiple choice test file.

Please could you let me know whether I should come up with a short description for a 'Importing Learnwise quiz files' help file.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
New code in cvs and multiple-answer questions added to the example file. Thanks!

I did put something in the help as you probably noticed, but if you would like to come up with something more comprehensive, it would be great!

by Helen Foster -
Sorry I didn't notice you'd put anything in the help because I didn't know where to look! Please could you explain.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
On the quiz editing page - click the little yellow question mark next to the 'import questions from file' link. It's nothing exciting!!

by Helen Foster -
Sorry, what I meant was that I didn't know where to look for the new bit you added to the help files! wink

Never mind, here's my suggestion:

Learnwise

This module can import multiple choice questions saved in learnwise native format (xml).

More info about the Learnwise format:

When Learnwise V2 admin exports a course as learnwise native format, all quizzes contained in the course are saved as xml files. Multiple choice and multiple answer multiple choice questions (typically called mc1.xml and mamc1.xml respectively) may be imported to Moodle. Other question types may be supported in future.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Heather P -

Hi

the multiple choice and multi choice multi answer work brilliantly, many thanks for sharing. The sample files were particularly helpful as our exports had a slight issue.

Did you try importing the fill in the blanks from Learnwise? If yes was it successful? So far ours have failed miserably but it could be our export rather than the import but then I'm not really sure either way.

Thanks

In reply to Heather P

by Howard Miller -
If you want to post an example export I'll take a look. It would be *much* better if you are first sure it is correct (I don't have Learnwise here).

by Heather P -
Many Thanks.
I have an export. I've compared the two files produced by Learnwise V2 and Olympus and can see no discrepancies. The other two quizzes kept losing the hints tag but this one doesn't have a hint to loose so I believe it to be fine.
Again Many thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Helen Foster -
Hi Heather,

I investigated the possibility of coming up with a file for importing fill in the blank questions in learnwise native format but concluded that it would be a lot of work since the format is completely different to Moodle's short answer questions. thoughtful

In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Delahunty -

Hi Helen, I tried extracting this to moodle\mod\quiz\format\
 as above but seemingly no effect on our Moodle 1.4.     I should see 'Learnwise MC' or similar in the 'Import questions from file' --> File Format dropdown options, right? 

In reply to Tony Delahunty

by Tony Delahunty -
I'll answer this myself as I seem to have solved it just by creating a Learnwise\ folder within moodle\mod\quiz\format\ and putting the new format.php in that.  [or was that structure already in your patch, but was lost by my unzip utility...?]
In reply to Tony Delahunty

by Helen Foster -
Yes, that's right Tony. smile You need to include the file in 1.4, however it's included as standard in 1.5.