GODADDY AND DATAROOT FILE

GODADDY AND DATAROOT FILE

by hugh kelly -
Number of replies: 15

I have Moodle 2.0 running on godaddy... however it can not find the data file.  Can anyone help... oh please sayyy yesss....  Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to hugh kelly

Re: GODADDY AND DATAROOT FILE

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ü,

Have you any Error Messages which might give us some clues as to what answer we can proffer to get you out of this 'black-hole' of a problem?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by hugh kelly -

Hello Mary... thanks for helping.  I use the tab "add a resouce" and go to "add a file".  I then upload a file... like a word document.  When I go to the class it shows the file as being present.  When I click on it - the web page says: HTTP 404 Not found.  Apparently no data is being created in my moodle data file.  I have no problems on my local host server - my computer install... only on my web server installation - on godaddy.  Thanks again for the help... you really are the BEST!!  Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

509-217-1872

In reply to Mary Evans

by hugh kelly -

And Mary here is the link to our website... I want you to see the beautiful theme I am using thanks to your Aardvark creation!!

http://access4learning.ewu.edu

Hugh

In reply to hugh kelly

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Indeed it is a beautiful website,Hugh, especially the header that is a continuation of the background. Aardvark really does lend itself well to adapting to its environment!

Now back to the Moodledate folder on GoDaddy.

1. Check to see that the folder is there and that the correct address to it is in the config.php in the Moodle root directory.

For example:

in my config.php for my Moodle 2.0 on my local WAMP Server I have these settings...yours should be something similar but will relate to your website.

The dataroot highlighted in red is the one you need to make sure is correct.

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://localhost/moodle';
$CFG->dirroot   = 'C:/wamp/www/moodle';
$CFG->dataroot  = 'C:/wamp/moodledata';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

2. Assuming that 1. (above) is correct then check to see the permissions for the dataroot (moodledata) are correct, I have mine set to 755

If neither of these solve the problem, then it must be something you will need to resolve with your Tech Support for GoDaddy.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by hugh kelly -

Hello Mary... I tried all that and no success... bahh humbuggg!  Here is my original config file - the one on the server (I have deleted the password):

<?php  // Moodle configuration file

unset($CFG);
global $CFG;
$CFG = new stdClass();

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysqli';
$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'moodledatah1.db.6220425.hostedresource.com';
$CFG->dbname    = 'moodledatah1';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'moodledatah1';
$CFG->dbpass    => ................;
$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';
$CFG->dboptions = array (
  'dbpersist' => 0,
);

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://access4learning.ewu.edu';
$CFG->dataroot  = '/home/content/25/6220425/moodledatah1';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 0777;

$CFG->passwordsaltmain =  .....;

require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/lib/setup.php');

// There is no php closing tag in this file,
// it is intentional because it prevents trailing whitespace problems!

Any thoughts?  What does your config file look like... the one up on a server... not a local host?

Thanks again for all your help... and Peaceful Christmas... Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

In reply to hugh kelly

by Mary Evans -

Hi Hugh,

My config.php looks pretty much the same other than I have my moodle 2.0 running in a subdomain, but the my moodledata file is on the server side of my site in much the same area, I suppose, your moodledatah1 folder is in relation to your moodle site.

The fact that your Moodle site is up and running suggest that Moodle recognises the fact there is a valid Moodledata folder there, else it would not have proceeded in the install.

Have you checked with your host company's Support Desk to see if there is any security issues that you are not aware of which may be blocking files being saved?

I had a similar issue on a website I an helping someone with, and it was caused by Plesk not being set properly. Some security issue which was blocking me as the 2nd Administrator from being able to create  directories and add files and images to Moodledata. But that was with Moodle 1.9.10. As far as I know you can't access your Moodledata folder from inside Moodle other than in the User Interface, which is not the same as in Moodle 1.9.

Have you tried to upload files to your Moodledata folder via FTP and then link to them?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by hugh kelly -

Hello Mary... hope you had a great holiday!  Still having no success with this issue.  Yes I can upload a URL and access data that way... but can not upload a file directly from my moodle site, etc.  This is very frustrating.  Is there any way to connect with the moodle development team to help resolve this issue?  Should I be posting in another forum?  Thanks again for all your help... your the best!!! Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

In reply to hugh kelly

by Mary Evans -

I think Lisa (in her comment from earlier today) has hit on the problem with the dataroot location. If you have read her post I suggest you make a call to GoDaddy Tech Support. I think it is more than likely you have the wrong path listed in your config.php for the Moodledata file.

And yes thanks I had a great holiday...hope you did too?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to hugh kelly

by Lisa Dodson -

Hi Hugh - I'm going to chime in on this topic to hopefully help.  I have v. 1.9 but my site is hosted on GoDaddy and I have no problems uploading a file to the data directory and accessing it via moodle.  Hopefully nothing has changed in 2.0, otherwise I may have problems in the future too! big grin

What I see may be the problem is this line:

$CFG->dataroot = '/home/content/25/6220425/moodledatah1';

You should log into your GoDaddy hosting account for your moodle and get the admin user name.   It looks like you're using some of the GoDaddy information for dbhost as the dataroot path and while I have a similiar dbhost (with just a different 7-digit number) I am not using that in my dataroot path.

My dataroot path uses an hosting account admin user name for my moodle install.   For example, assume on GoDaddy that my admin user name for my hosting account is ABC123.

My dirroot and dataroot paths then look like this:

$CFG->dirroot   = '/home/content/a/b/c/abc123/html/moodle';

$CFG->dataroot  = '/home/content/a/b/c/abc123/html/moodledata';

I don't use the standard moodle or moodledata folder names so that I can make them more secure, but I used those for this example.  As you can see it uses the first 3 characters of the hosting admin name... a/b/c and then the full name.

These are completely different from the dbhost line in the config.php file.  I doubt that 25 or 6220425 is the admin user name for your hosting account.

If you log into your GoDaddy account, go to the hosting control center dashboard and see what admin user name you are using on the FTP section.  It will be the same one you use for your config.php file.

In reply to Lisa Dodson

by hugh kelly -

Lisa thanks so much for your post... Could you please email me directly so you can help me with this issue.  I tried implementing your suggestions and did not quite get it to work.  If you email me, I can call or we can email... I want to do this in case I need to talk directly about me settings and don't want to accidently reveal confidential information.... again thanks for your offer to help!!  Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

In reply to hugh kelly

by DeWayne Demland -

I have had my site og Godaddy for over 2 years with Moodle. There tech support is most often useless. They are not and do not want to be Moodle friendly. That is one reason I have been in the process of change to my own server.

Most often the only way I have any luck uploading files is through firefox and the add on FireFTP. I learned this through trial and ewrror with no help from Godaddy tech, and I am in Phoenix right next door to their HQ in Scottsdale.

In reply to DeWayne Demland

by hugh kelly -

Thanks DeWayne for the reply.  Could you give a bit more detail how you use the firefox ftp tool to upload and make files visible?  Thanks, Hugh

In reply to hugh kelly

by DeWayne Demland -

This is a screen shot using fireFTP. When you connect to your go daddy site you will see what is there. I have done several things depending what I am trying to accomplish. If you go into your moodle folder you have access to chage all the files that are on the server. I have on several occasion placed large files on the root as you see in this pic. Give the people that need it have this file that link, "http://(web address)/(file name)", ex. "http:autoparts.com/parts.mov" and then they can download it by using the link alone.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to hugh kelly

by James Kever -

I would really like to know what the ultimate solution for your problem ended up being? I'm having the same exact issue. How did you work around it?

In reply to Lisa Dodson

by James Kever -

Hello. I'm having this exact issue. I'd really like to know what the solution ended up being. But just for spits and giggles, I tried your suggestion. This is what I got back.

Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

I'm about to change it back. When I go into the GoDaddy Hosting Control Center, under absolute hosting page, I am able to copy this:

/home/content/63/7287863/html

Any more suggestions? I'm curious about the permissions on the server. Every other php application I've installed has specific steps about permission on folders. Because I think this problem might be rooted in that.