Moodle 2.0 parent role

Moodle 2.0 parent role

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am struggling getting this to work. I know it's a very limited role but I recall getting it to work in 1.9. This is what I have done so far - any suggestions would be welcome:

1. created new Parent role and assigned it in the USER context
  2. allowed it to "read user blogs/read user posts/edit profile/viewuseractivitiesreports
  3. assigned Homer Simpson the Parent role in the student Bart Simpson
  4. added the mentees  block

Like this, I got Bart's name appearing for his dad Home on the front page but when I clicked on it, I got the message "the details of this user are not available to  you" Bit useless ..so I went back and

1. added the ability to view user details, ie view his profile

This then allowed Homer to get into Bart's profile - he could see site wide blog entry but when he clicked on a course in Bart's course list he couldn't access any forum posts or assignment grade -this is where I am stuck, because in 1.9 when you click on a child's course and then click on their activity report tab you can see their grades etc. But not in 2.0 - am I missing something? Or have I forgotten something in 1.9 that I haven't yet done in 2.0?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle 2.0 parent role

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm..this is doing my head in.. I have tried various other "view" permissions but still, once the parent clicks on a course he then loses the links to forum/activity reports etc that were available on the front page. Christmas is going to have to be postponed until I figure this one outthoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Antonio Duran -

Hi. I may be totally wrong, but I though you had to enrol parents in children courses (as parents) to access that data.

Regards,

Antonio

In reply to Antonio Duran

by Mary Cooch -

Hi there. I'm not aware that you have to enrol them into the children's courses - you don't do that in Moodle 1.9?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sally McCoy -

Did you get this parent role to work?  I am having exactly the same problem as you.  Thanks.