I've documented how to insert image-maps in to Lessons - where should I put it?

I've documented how to insert image-maps in to Lessons - where should I put it?

by peter wilkinson -
Number of replies: 10

I've documented how to insert image-maps in to Lessons. Clicking on areas jumps to pages much like clicking radio buttons. It seems to work...

It's a DocBook thingy so could be rendered in XHTML and/or pdf.  Would be a couple of A4 pages.

Would this be useful to share? and if so where should I put it?

I am not a regular contributor so don't know the proper etiquette and protocol...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to peter wilkinson

Re: I've documented how to insert image-maps in to Lessons - where should I put it?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter. I'm not a regular contributor either so my guess is as good as yours but if it were me I would probably add it in the "See also" section of the Lesson Module documentation here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Lesson#See_also

Re: I've documented how to insert image-maps in to Lessons - where should I put it?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter,

Before commiting anything to the Moodle docs, why not share that feature with the people on this forum? Explain in more detail what you are doing, and possibly give an URL where we can watch it in use on your moodle test site somwhere?

Joseph

PS.- Since you do not seem certain "It seems to work...", it would be better that several people tried out the new feature first.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by peter wilkinson -

Thanks for that advice.

Here is a URL to a short example lesson with a couple of image-maps.

http://moodle.quanglewangle.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=4

Guest access is turned on for the course.

Peter

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh that's interestingbig grin

Now I know the difference between a dog and a boat, I for one should like to know how you did it!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by peter wilkinson -

Mary wrote: "I for one should like to know how you did it!"

The topic in the course pointed to by the URL in my earlier post now has a step by step guide about how to do it.  It is slightly involved and anaroak-y but, I think, worth the effort.  At risk of sounding like a teacher, planning is the key.

Feedback welcome.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter,

I've been to your demo page. That's a neat idea, with a number of potential uses, not just for kids. However, since it departs a lot from the original way Moodle's Lesson activity works, I'm not sure documentation about it would have its place in the Moodle Documentation wiki.

One obvious potential problem, as you underline is that the "map" would probably not survive very well any back-up & restore operations.

I leave it up to our Lesson moderator, Chris, to decide what is best.

Congratulations on a bright idea (and humour).smile

Joseph

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

I tried it too.  Definately fun and different.

I do not understand the map concept.  Linking to an image in a lesson and different urls for different pages in a lesson, I get.  So I am sort of with Mary and Joseph (big grin, it is Xmas Eve as I write this).   I think you had a link in your pdf to address this issue.

In you sandbox lesson, you could have a backup of the course (no users!) for people to use and see.

This is very creative.  The map could be used in an html block or anywhere the HTML editor tool is visible.    My first inclination is to ask Helen where this kind of tool my be presented.   Standby smile

I would like to thank you for presenting this  idea, I can see applications right now that I could use it, having figured out how to easily create the "map".

The thread is about a Lesson and a creative way of using the jump features.   I just do not know where to put it in MoodleDocs and that is where Helen comes in .

Best  Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by peter wilkinson -

Thank you for the supportive comments!

Image-maps are a part of html. They allow for the construction of "areas" on an  image, each associated with an href link.  It is possible to construct them by hand but it is usual to use a tool. I use GIMP (choose menu pick Filters | Web | image-map) but most graphics editors have the faciltiy to make an image map.  It is not hard.

I have added to the topic a link to the image-map file, in case that is helpful.

Chris says: "In you sandbox lesson, you could have a backup of the course (no users!) for people to use and see."

I am afraid that is unlikely to work.  This is one of the shortcomings of the method.  The course id and page ids are those in my Moodle database and are embedded in the code.  When restored to another Moodle these id numbers would not line up with the new id numbers of the pages created at restore-time and so would need hand-editing.  (My confidence is this paragraph is not high, but I think it is right)

Regards

Peter

by Elizabeth Dalton -

I wish I knew where to find this information-- it would save me some time, as I'm currently working on creating content that would really benefit from being able to use image maps in a Lesson. The sample course by the OP is gone now....

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Isabelle Langeveld -

I am definitely not a geek, but it seems to me you can create an image map in a content page coding it in HTML 5, see f.i. these instructions. Every page in a Lesson has a unique URL.

Must say I would try to find someone who could code it for me wink