jcloze troubles in quiz port

jcloze troubles in quiz port

by salvador padilla -
Number of replies: 15

I still have problems with any jcloze exercise I place in the quiz port. All the gaps go out of place and they get aligned in one single line.

I will certainly appreciate any help.

This is an example of how they come out:

Each of the gaps is supposed to be in a different line of the text and as you can see here they just come one afetr the other. I have tried with like 9 or 10 different jcloze exercises and it's always the same.

Also if I use the html file instead of the jcloze file, the exercise comes out just fine. The trouble is with the jcloze only. All other modalities of hotpotatoes are fine too.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to salvador padilla

Re: jcloze troubles in quiz port

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Could you also post how you explect the screen to look, and if possible upload the JCloze file, ".jcl".

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by salvador padilla -

Gordon, thnk you for your attention.

Here is an image of the exercise as it supposed to work and I also attach the jcl file.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Your most recent screenshot is for a different JCloze than the first screenshot you showed us. In order that we don't get confused, I will give them different names. The first one, I will call the "Three days" JCloze. The second one, I will call the "Personal management" JCloze.

I uploaded the "Personal management" JCloze to my Moodle site, and it displays fine there (see attached screenshot).

I agree that the screenshot for the "Three days" JCloze does look strange. Please could you upload this exercise, plus its associated image files, to the "salvador" folder on my server, and set up a QuizPort there, so that we can look t it together.

Here are the access details for the course where I would like you to put your Quizport:

If the "Three days" JCloze displays differently on your site and my site, then I suggest you upgrade your QuizPort module. You can download the latest version of QuizPort from the following link:

thanks
Gordon

P.S. Shouldn't it be "Personnel management", instead of "Personal management"?

Attachment salvador.jcloze.jpg

by salvador padilla -

Hey there Gordon,

I am attaching here the original exercise I posted the "three days ago" exercise which I also uploaded to your server under the name "Present_perfect_continuos_1.jcl" as well as the associated images. I also created a quizport which showed it with no mistake. So, I am re-installing the quizport in my server first thing tomorrow morning since It seems as the only possible area of conflict. I'll kepp you posted on the outcome.

Thank you so much for your help, if there's anything I can ever do for you don't hesitate to ask.

P.S on the "personal" vs "personnel " issue when I mentioned this to the teacher developer of the text in the exercise he told me he referred to personal as on the individuals management which it does exist as a part of industrial managing programs.

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for doing that. I am glad to see the blanks are displayed correctly approve

I think you know this already, but you can fix the display the images if you fix the paths, like this:

• OLD: week 6/week 6.jpg
    NEW: week_6.jpg
  • OLD: PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS 2.png
    NEW: PRESENT_PERFECT_CONTINUOUS_2.png

Please let us know how what happens after you update your QuizPort module.

regards
Gordon

by salvador padilla -

Hi Gordon,

I already re-installed the version of the quiz port and unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

I will describe to you what I did in my server. I copied the zip file to the "mod" folder and erased the old quizport files. Then, I unziped the files and modified the settings to  allow my server to see them.

My server is "apache", so that's what I chose in the settings for the folders access.

Any other possible solutions?

Thank you

by salvador padilla -

Just to mention it also, I installed the port following the instructions you posted for it. clear the cache and confirm the installation in the notifications.

by Gordon Bateson -

I see. Is it possible to arrange for me to come and have a look at your site?

If it is, please send me a private email containing the access details.

• gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

Please make me at least a teacher in your course, but preferably a site administrator, so that I can see and test the behavior of the QuizPort module settings (Site administration -> Modules -> Activities -> QuizPort)

thanks
Gordon

by salvador padilla -

Hi Gordon, once again thnak you very much for the disposition to help. However, here in Mexico the Tech Institute is in the official holiday season and as part of the maintenenace to servers they have shut down all the sites. They will be up and runnign until January the 3rd. Then, I will send you the information with your guestteacher-administratior.

I hope you can wait 'til then, and I also hope we can continue making quizport a great tool for learning.    

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for the info Salvador - and I hope you have a relaxing time during the holiday!
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Salvador,

thanks for sending the access info. I confirmed that the JCloze activities on your site have their blanks in the wrong places sad

I downloaded one of your JCloze files to my site and it displayed OK there (see attached screenshot)

Attachment sp.jcloze.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

I tried uploading one of my simple JCloze activities to your site. I found that when there were no line breaks, the blanks were displayed in the right place. However, when there were line breaks, the blanks got messed up (see schreenshot). That is as far as I have got.

Please could you tell me what version of PHP you are using?

thanks
Gordon

Attachment gb.jcloze.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello again Salvador,

I was looking at the PHP code in QuizPort which handles JCloze files, and I found a note I wrote to myself a while ago ...

// Note: when testing this code, be aware that
// xmlize() behaves differently in PHP4 and PHP5

This gives me a strong hunch that your site is using PHP4. I think you may need to upgrade to PHP5 in order to fix this problem.

You can find out your PHP version number if you log in to your Moodle sites as admin, and the look at Site administration -> Server -> PHP Info.

cheers
Gordon

by salvador padilla -

Gordon, thank you so much you're the man 

you are absolutely right in your hunch. I will be upgrading to PHP5 and letting you know how everything works out.

Any other comment on the layout or exercises in my course will be apreciated.

by Gordon Bateson -

You're welcome smile

> Any other comment on the layout or exercises in my course will be appreciated.

It seems that your JCloze is actually a reading with several questions, and I while it is certainly possible to do this in JCloze, I think that JQuiz, with a "Reading" and several "Short answer" questions would handle this activity more elegantly.

best regards
Gordon