Making my online course sticky

Re: Making my online course sticky

by Paul Ganderton -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Laurence,

Glad you found my ideas useful. From your post there are a few items I'd follow up on:

a) Definitely sell Moodle as cost-benefit. My students are keen to learn but they need to know that a new idea is worth their effort. You suggest your teaching a business course in which case Moodle becomes a marketing exercise smile

b) Do get students to join in but please realise that they are not native users so they'll need time. My favourite word is 'acculturation' which means it'll take time to grow on them (don't despair) and they'll need constant reasons to use it. I tend to put forms etc. on there with no paper copy so there's a solid reason to check Moodle. Having said that, I must add that if we all expect students to work online and in class rooms they won't have enough time to do the work. Moodle can be an addition but should really be a replacement for their time. If they feel overwhelmed, they might switch off;

c)I developed a set of 'cheat-sheets' for each year of my course. I tried to differentiate use of Moodle by age (to make it appropriate to the tasks we were doing and their interests in Moodle so year 9 get basics; year 12 get to push the system in social media terms) and my familiarity with ICT (I used our driving system of L and P plates). Show them you care - best way is to request their input in course design and then carry it out. I've even set up a bug tracker so if students fiund an issue they log it on Moodle and can then see how long it takes me to respond. If they ask and you turn it around it shows commitment and they can mirror that.

Does that sound like where you're going?

Paul