Scorm Courses - Manifest not found

Scorm Courses - Manifest not found

by Rob Parry -
Number of replies: 16

I cannot get a scorm course to work. I have uploaded the package and choose it from the upload screen, but when I go to save the course etc it tells me "MANIFEST NOT FOUND".

Can someone please help me

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Parry

Re: Scorm Courses - Manifest not found

by Dave Arnold -

Open the package before you upload it and make sure a file called imsmanifest.xml exists.

In reply to Rob Parry

by Lynda Price-Winter -

what program did you creat e your SCORM in.  The way in which you end up with a manifest file can depend on this (eg:  sometime you will need to run a 3rd party app over your file to 'package' it)

In reply to Lynda Price-Winter

by Amy Groshek -
The Manifest not found error is a package config error. Discussing what software you used to generate the package is not nearly so productive as examining the generated package. Follow the instructions in the FAQ.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Manifest_not_found
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Rob Parry -

I have followed the instruction under the frequently asked question and it still does not work. I have installed a thoird party software SCORM CLOUD and the package works in their software no problems. I am new to Moodle and still very miuch learning

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Lynda Price-Winter -

Sometimes the background information is the difference between a 20 thread solution or a 5 thread resolution…  The productive 5 thread resolution would be my preference.  There can be some complexity in the various methods or processes used to create the ‘package’.   Understanding any difference or inherent known pitfalls can assist in determining the actual problem (an example for somebody new to Moodle might be: SCORM 1.2 opposed to SCORM 2004).  I note in subsequent replies from Rob, it was already packaged from a third party.  Rob:- is the 'package' zipped and have you left it zipped after you uploaded it to Moodle?  Inside your zip - make sure there is not a folder that contains all the relevant files - the files need to be first level (root), this is one of the most common mistakes.  Another suggestion could be for you to open the manifest file and copy/paste the contents into this thread, this is helpful is someone can pick up an error in the code for you.  A couple of suggestions I hope helps.

In reply to Lynda Price-Winter

by Rob Parry -

The package came from a third party already packaged. It works OK in the SCORM Cloud account I have created. I am new to Moodle and still learning, so any help would be greatly appreciated

In reply to Rob Parry

by Paul Broekhof -

Hi Rob, I am facing the same issue: when deploying the SCORM zip file in Moodle I get the dreaded "Manifest not found". I am still trying to find out what the problem is, but this is what I tried so far:

• I verified that there is a file called imsmanifest.xml (filename all lowercase) in the zip file
  • I checked that imsmanifest.xml contained no empty lines
  • I ensured there are no nested folders inside the zip file, i.e. all files are stored at the "top" level of the zip file
  • I reloaded the zipfile (loaded contents and recreated the zip file) using the Reload editor from www.reload.ac.uk
  • I tried to deploy the zipfile in Moodle as an activity and as a SCORM course.
  • I have activated the highest level of debugging in Administration -> Server -> Debugging, but so far this option has not generated any information at all
  • Like you, I have successfully deployed the same zip file in the scorm cloud.
  • Interestingly, I tried to access my course using the dispatch option that the scorm cloud provides, but when uploading the dispatch.zip I get the same "Manifest not found" message (and believe me, there is one there).

I am mystified. This definitely looks like an error in my Moodle installation, but I have no idea where to look for error information. I will keep trying and if I find a solution I will make sure to post it here. For those who want to see my manifest, I have attached it to this message.

In reply to Paul Broekhof

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Paul,

First, have you made sure that the manifest is in the immediate root of the zipped directory? It cannot be inside of a folder in the zipped directory.

Second, you can also get around this by unzipping the .zip package in the course files and directing the scorm activity to the imsmanifest.xml file rather than the SCORM package. Some people on this forum have recommended that strategy before.

Third, can you provide the package or a link to the package?

A
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Paul Broekhof -

Hello Amy,

Yes, the manifest file was in the root of the zipped archive. In fact, I have all files in the archive sitting at the root level.

More importantly, though, I have managed to get my SCORM course running using the strategy you suggested. I was wondering about something like that, sort of bypassing the auto-discovery of the manifest file, but had no idea how to do it.

Thank you very much for your kind support. You have made my day!

by Bill Bennett -

Paul,

I was wondering what you did to finally resolve your "manifest not found" error? I have followed everything you listed in the checklist of your previous post and I tried Amy's idea of unzipping the package and just pointing to the imsmanifest file - I still can't get mine to work.

It works perfectly on SCORM Cloud and Blackboard, but not at all on Moodle. After wasting two days on this problem I'm about ready to give up on Moodle and go with Blackboard. The college where I teach uses Blackboard anyway, I was just trying to find a reliable free solution for a master's project I'm working on for Cal State Fullerton.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Bill Bennett

by Benraj SD -

Hi Paul,

Could please help me to resolve the issue. 

www.a10ed.com/RAI_SAG/Overview_5V_SCORM1_2.zip

Thank you,

Ben

In reply to Benraj SD

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Benraj,
open your package and follow the FAQ above.
You'll see that the imsmanifest.xml file is not in the root of the archive but in a subfolder:

├───Overview_5V_SCORM1_2  <-- imsmanifest.xml is inside this folder
│   └───WebPlayer
│       ├───images
│       └───scripts
└───__MACOSX
    └───Overview_5V_SCORM1_2
        └───WebPlayer

Just rebuild your compressed archive getting rid of the first level of folders.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Benraj SD -

Hi Amy,

I am facing the same issue, SCORM 1.2 package working fine in SCORM Cloud not in moodle. Please download SCORM 1.2 package from below mentioned link. Could you please review and get back to me.

www.a10ed.com/RAI_SAG/Overview_5V_SCORM1_2.zip

In reply to Benraj SD

by Seth Mengal -
This is a very important point for a possible fix: The SCORM authoring tool Articulate Presenter will publish packages where the imsmanifest.xml file is in the correct place, but there are several lines of white space in the manifest file if you do not fill out the Reporting and Tracking Options in Articulate Presenter for Keywords and LMS Description. Moodle will give a "Manifest not found" error when encountering this. To fix this problem select the Reporting and Tracking Options in the Articulate Presenter publish dialog and fill in the LMS Description and Keywords.

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/SCORM_FAQ#Incorrect_file_package_-_missing_imsmanifest.xml_or_AICC_structure