Header content in custom_corners

Header content in custom_corners

by Russell Robshaw -
Number of replies: 8
I'm a newbie to Moodle & hope someone can explain with step-by-step instructions how to: 1. fill the header with a graphic or my own colour scheme; 2. reduce the height of the header. I've already placed our logo in the header, but it looks lost amongst the surrounding grey, so I want to fill the surrounding default grey colour with that of our organisation so that it compliments the colours in our logo, & reduce the header's height, so that if I increase the height of my logo it doesn't then increase the height of the header at the same time. I'm using Moodle 1.9 & the 'custom_corners' theme.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russell Robshaw

Re: Header content in custom_corners

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Any chance you could post a link to your site so that I can see where you are up to with this?

If you have not read these two documents Themes FAQ and CSS FAQ then do so, as they will give you quite a good grounding about Moodle Themes in general.

Custom Corners is a little special in that the header & footer HTML files are written a little differently, and not that easy to pick out which bits you need to change or where you need to add things like logos etc.

So either post a link here or send me a link to your site in a private message, and I'll try and help you if I can.

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Here's an example of a header logo in Custom Corners...

To achieve some thing in this style all you need is the CSS code, which I have enclosed in the image, and providing you add this code to your user_styles.css file, and also upload an image called logo.jpg to your custom corners theme folder it will work.

Also worth mentioning is that you can get quite a lot of information about your theme's css by using FireFox with the Firebug add-on.

If I can be of more help please let me know...

Thanks

Mary

Attachment customcorners-h1-logo.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Mary

Many thanks for your replies.  Unfortunately I'm redesigning our existing Moodle site on a stand-alone platform with no external link, so can't make it available to you or anyone else at the moment!

I have managed to get our logo into the header, but want to stop the header expanding with increases in logo height, so that I can fill as much of the header as possible with the logo.  Also I want to replace the background grey of the header with our corporate colours – still haven't been able to work-out how to achieve either of these two yet.

Best regards

Russell

by Mary Evans -

Would it be possible, then, to upload your company logo, (or a similar image of the same dimensions & same corporate colours) so that I can help you achive the desired effect for your site?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Mary

Thanks for your offer of help.  The logo is attached & the two main colours used are:

Blue – Red: 45; Green: 48; Blue: 148
Green – Red: 7; Green: 131; Blue: 135

The background effect I'm after is a gradual change of colour from the 'green' at the top to the 'blue' at the bottom.  Failing that, then the 'blue' as the background.

I don't seem to be able to attach more than one document, but if you'd like to see my header code just let me know.

Russell

by Mary Evans -

OK...I came up with this...might not be what you were thinking off but it works better I think for the type of banner that you have.

Mary

Attachment devon-header.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Mary

Thanks for what you've come up with.  Although clearly at the top of the page, is it in the header, as I intended placing it within the rectangle below it so that it filled that space?  Could you send me the code for what you done please?

Many thanks & have a good Christmas.

Russell

by Mary Evans -

This is above the header in a div container of it's own. What you can see is made up pf two images one layered on top of the other. The first is a 2px by 800px background image which repeats along the x-axis of the top of the body of the browser window. And the logo I added in a div container above the page so that it was outside the custom-corners area, which, incidentally, forces divs into predefined boxes that are edged with images. This is the main reason you will find it pretty hard to get your style of logo to display, as you want it to, in the header.

I'm not saying it can't be done, because it can, it's just that it will take some doing as you will need to re-colour the header background images which make up the actual header.

If I find time I'll have a go at doing this, as it's sort of buggin me now! LOL

Have a good Christmas too.

Cheers

Mary

PS: I'll send you the zip file