Blocks

Move a block into the header

Picture of Russell Robshaw
Move a block into the header

I'm a newbie using Moodle 1.9 & the custom_corner theme & would like to know – if it's possible – how to move a block into the header.

The Front Page is intended to a 'shop window' to our organisation & we want it to show only the contents of the middle column, not blocks positioned to the left or right of it.

I have an understanding of basic HTML code, but CSS, JS & PHP are new languages to me, but I'm willing to try!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Barbara Lawrence
Re: Move a block into the header

I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but there is a patch available to allow you to move blocks to the centre of the page: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21023.  After implementing this, I found that with Ajax turned on, I can no longer drag and drop blocks on a course page. But I can still move blocks with the arrows so it is not a big problem.

Hi Barbara

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  Although it's not quite what I want to do, I'll keep a note of this option in case I want to use it in the future.

Best regards

Russell

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

This sort of thing is possible in Moodle 2.0 (with the right theme), but not in 1.9.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards

Russell

Picture of luciano biondo

Can you tell what could be a "right theme"?

Frank Ralf
Documentation writersPlugin developers
Hi Russell,

You can principally move any element of a web page by CSS. See Stylish#Fixed admin menue with CSS and Themes FAQ#Moving things for some pointers.

CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming.

hth
Frank

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply.  Looks like I'll have to do some further reading!

Best regards

Russell