Move a block into the header

Move a block into the header

by Russell Robshaw -
Number of replies: 7

I'm a newbie using Moodle 1.9 & the custom_corner theme & would like to know – if it's possible – how to move a block into the header.

The Front Page is intended to a 'shop window' to our organisation & we want it to show only the contents of the middle column, not blocks positioned to the left or right of it.

I have an understanding of basic HTML code, but CSS, JS & PHP are new languages to me, but I'm willing to try!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russell Robshaw

Re: Move a block into the header

by Barbara Lawrence -

I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but there is a patch available to allow you to move blocks to the centre of the page: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21023.  After implementing this, I found that with Ajax turned on, I can no longer drag and drop blocks on a course page. But I can still move blocks with the arrows so it is not a big problem.

In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Barbara

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  Although it's not quite what I want to do, I'll keep a note of this option in case I want to use it in the future.

Best regards

Russell

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This sort of thing is possible in Moodle 2.0 (with the right theme), but not in 1.9.

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Russell,

You can principally move any element of a web page by CSS. See Stylish#Fixed admin menue with CSS and Themes FAQ#Moving things for some pointers.

CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply.  Looks like I'll have to do some further reading!

Best regards

Russell