Print Complete Book error

Print Complete Book error

by Cindy Weber -
Number of replies: 5

I thought it may be a theme problem, but using a variety of themes, print complete book generates this error:

500 Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred , and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. [leviathan/6843]

Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script

In addition, unusual characters are visible on the print browser that are not visible on the original screen:

‘PhoneDon’t  for example.

I thought is was a theme problem but the loaded standard theme also generates the error.  Moodle 1.9.7 (Build: 20091126)

Help!!  Cindy Weber

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cindy Weber

Re: Print Complete Book error

by Kevin Brake -

Hi Cindy,

I am just a fellow Moodle User, but... it would seem that you may have a curruption in a php file.

I would upload a fresh copy of the book directory.  This would be located on your web server:  mod/book/

To get a copy:  http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=319

Of course make sure it is the same version as what you current have... and you will need to ftp to your server browse to that directory and upload from your computer.

I would be surprised if that did not work, I have come to this conclusion based on you mentioning the invalid charecters.

All the best,

Kevin

In reply to Kevin Brake

by Cindy Weber -

Kevin:

Thank you very much for your quick insight!  If I reinstall the files, will the page that I created survive?  It looks like the data is a view.php file according to the address.

Cindy

In reply to Cindy Weber

by Kevin Brake -

Since these php files are the structure in which data is pulled into and displayed, it actually does not store your newly created work in the same place.

Your newly created work will be stored in the database and pulled into the php files for you to be able to view the content found in your database.

Lost of your page would come from changes to your database or a complete reinstall.

You may of also encountered an error when copying and pasting from MS Word sometimes it also includes hidden charecters.  This too could cause some issues... it would be my next step if this does not work.

The solution for that would be to create a blank book and just enter some text, if you can print it more than likely it is related to hidden charecters messing up your ablitiy to print.

All the best,

Kevin

In reply to Kevin Brake

by Cindy Weber -

Thank you Kevin!  I reinstalled the files, changed themes, used a cleaner text editor, used the 'W' key on the editor to clean up the files; but still have inconsistent pop-ups.  'Print this chapter' works more consistently than 'print complete book'.  'Print this chapter' sometimes produces a clean pop-up and sometimes produces a document full of html characters, for example :p> on each line.  Here is a copy:

Testing-taking Tips

Testing-taking Tips

:p>Test-taking skills

:p>Do not rush! Take your time when answering the questions. Read every question 3 times before you answer it.

:p>Notice your habits

:p>Some test-takers miss words. Most will answer the question incorrectly, if they change their answer. You will be taking many quizzes. Notice your strengths and weaknesses as you go along. Knowing the material is important, but so is the ability to take a test. It is a learned skill. Don’t read into the questions! Don’t try to broaden the questions. They are usually just showing you a narrow snapshot of an event.

:p>Self-employment

:p>Since real estate sales is a self-motivated profession – now is the time to prove you can excel, proving you are self-motivated. Don’t Stall.

:p>The quicker you finish this material and take your final exam and Nevada real estate tests; the more you will remember. It builds on itself, and you need to keep all of the terms fresh in your mind for test-taking.

:p>Scheduling

:p>Make sure you schedule your Nevada real estate exam at the time of day that you are the most rested and energetic. They offer test times morning, noon, and evening - 7 days a week. When are you the best test taker? Don’t be nervous. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Students fail tests. That’s how they know they need more studying.

:p>Are you a diabetic or do you have other special needs? Don’t forget to address any special needs with the testing staff.

:p>What if I need more help?

Transfer-Encoding: chunked 1dd

500 Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, www@abcrealestateschool.com and inform them of the time the error occurred , and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. [thunderer/6840]

Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script /Utahcourses/mod/book/print.php 0

The same document will produce different result with the 2 icons.  One thing I noticed was apostrophe's do not print correctly.

Print complete book results

Don’t be nervous. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Students fail tests. That’s how they know they need more studying.

Are you a diabetic or do you have other special needs? Don’t forget to address any special needs with the testing staff.

Now sometimes the document shows correctly in 'print this chapter' but not 'print complete book'.  'Print complete book' shows problem characters consistently.

I know that my adult students will be bothered by the print problems, but will want to be able to print the documents. 

I have tried a variety of themes and I am using Moodle 1.9.7 (Build: 20091126).  I can see that many moodlers do not offer the print option in book but I think that is because they don't want students to be able to print the document, not because they haven't been able to get it to work. 

Do you get the 'print complete book' option to work consistently?

Cindy Weber

In reply to Cindy Weber

by Kevin Brake -

Hi Again,

If you are using pure ACSII Text you will not have any issue using an apostrophe.

In order to completely remove any possible hidden code, I copy from MS Word to Notepad.  Then from notepad into Moodle, if you check your source code using the <> button or the HTML button.

You will be able to see the source code, I bet you will notice way too much code, <!--if --> with a bunch of other code.

Do you get the 'print complete book' option to work consistently?

-- Yes, running Moodle 1.9.10.

Run this test:

1.  Create a new book

2.  Create new content just plain old text (No copying from Word)

3.  Create several chapters

4.  Add some graphics

Then attempt a print test, if it works then the issue is absolutely your content.

My money is still on the hidden code that got carried over from MS Word.

Kevin