How do you pay for a course in Moodle 2.0

How do you pay for a course in Moodle 2.0

by Darren Richards -
Number of replies: 29

I'm sure this sound obvious to most, but we cannot find a way to pay for a course in Moodle 2.0. we have both paypal and authorize.net payment gateways, and although we can install them on the site, when we try to attach this payment solution to individual courses, it does not show up in the course settings as it does in 1.9.10.

We are under a pretty big deadline to roll out our course material, and would appreciate anyone who could offer us a solution.

Perhpas we have not installed the payment plug in correctly. It was working fine in our 1.9.10 sites.

Many thanks.

Darren Richards

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darren Richards

Re: How do you pay for a course in Moodle 2.0

by Steven Lovell -

I have the same question.

I found in Site Admin > Plugins > Enrolments > Paypal you can set the default course cost, and this seem to work for a new user enroling and paying.

However, the option for indivdual course costs is missing. I can't fathom why this would be taken out in 2.0 when it was in 1.9 and worked fine.

In reply to Steven Lovell

by Steven Lovell -

I also had an issue with an "Enrol Me" button being displayed to a registered user to enrol in a course on the page where the cost and PayPal payment is on.

I want them to pay for the course, but they can enrol themselves without paying. I tried all the options I could find about student enrolments and self-enrolments but nothing got rid of it.

Temporary fix I used was to set the CSS in the active theme for #mform1

#mform1 {visibility:hidden;}

by Darren Richards -

Wow. Definitely a lot of issues with 2.0. I'm pretty upset with our hosting service for putting 2.0 out so early in the game. Looking for other options.

by Steven Lovell -

NOTICE: Don't do the above CCS hack. It screws with other forms being displayed.

Solution noted below.

by Barbara Bober -

You can set up an individual cost for course if you open a course and then go to Settings>Users>Enrolment methods and then Add method  PayPal. After this click PayPal settings and can set up enrol cost for this course. It took me a while to find it, but  I hope it's clear explanation.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Barbara Bober

by Steven Lovell -

Thanks Barbara!

I got it all working fine.

Also found there the option to disable self-enrolment.smile

Seems an illogical menu placement to me. Wasted a few hours because of it. angry

In reply to Barbara Bober

by Andrew D -

thanks a lot Barbara, your a star, I have spent ages trying to find where this was set.

Andy

by Neelu Singh -

hey Darren Richards,

can you send me your authorized.net plugin ,coz i dnt find enrolment method authorize.net plugin

in moodle2.0.may be i can help you if you have authirized.net plugin.

thank you

by Doug Swenson -

Darren/Steve,

I am currently having the Authorize.net plugin updated for 2.0 by our development team. This will cost money and if you guys want to split the development costs I will press ahead.

Let me know.

Doug

In reply to Doug Swenson

by Steven Lovell -

Not for me thanks Doug.

by Paul Drayton -

I thought Moodle 2.0 had authorize.net as one of the payment options built in. Is that not the case?

In reply to Doug Swenson

by Briggs Armstrong -

Doug,

How quickly can you get the Authorize.net plugin working for 2.0?

We will be happy to fund the development if we can get the plugin within 7 days or so.

In reply to Doug Swenson

by Jeff Martin -

what is the status of this project?  moving ahead?

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Jim Cook -

Jeff,

There is a native connection to PayPal in the core code of 2.0.  I have it running in the PayPal sandbox.  Check = Site Administration -> Advanced Features -> Plugins -> Enrollments.

Jim

In reply to Jim Cook

by Jeff Martin -

thanks, I just found that yesterday and got it working great.  I am still hoping to get a plugin for authorize.net working on mu Moodle site.  My preference would be able to hit our existing authorize.net account for their better fee rate and also if at all possible not require my Moodle user to have to leave the site to make a payment.  Will the Moodle authorize.net plugin allow me to use https from my own Moodle site and hit authorize as a true payment gateway?

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Steve Houk -

I too am trying to set up a moodle2.0 installation with Authorize.net for course payment. Having a real hard time locating information on how to do so. Does anyone know if Authorize.net is a planned implimentation for 2.0...maybe still in development? or has it been dropped moving forward?
I'm rather commited to using Authorize.net as payment method...so am I better off quitting my 2.0 effort and starting over with 1.9.10?

Are there problems/issues associated using Authorize.net with Moodle that one should know about? possible reason for it not being included in 2.0?

@Jeff, where did you find the Authorize.net plugin? I can't seem to locate it, and not for lack of trying...do you have a download link by chance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

In reply to Steve Houk

by Jeff Martin -

sorry I wasn't more clear.  I got the Moodle 2.0 core paypal plugin enrollment method working.  There is no Authorize plugin in Moodle 2.0 core that I could find, but hope they add it or hope a contributed plugin is completed soon.

To use the paypal plug in first enable (disabled by default) at admin/settings.php?section=manageenrols then when creating a course select the paypal method as your enrollment method for the course at USERS -> Enrollment Methods.  You will need a businesspaypal account, but those free with no setup fees and 3% transaction fee, not bad really.  I got it all working in 30 minutes.

None-the-less I hope to be able to use our Authorize.net gateway and we have even better transaction fees with them.  Also I am hoping that my Moodle users can have a more seemless purchase experience without having to leave our Moodle site to make a payment.  I am still waiting to hear if the Authorize.net plugin will be able to accomplish that or my users will have to leap the Authorize site to make their payment.  Hope not!

Best wishes,  Jeff

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Steve Houk -

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply and clarification.
Well I'll keep tabs on this thread with the hope someone can enlighten us all on plans/progress toward an Authorize.net payment option. As yet it is unclear by reading here and the little mention elswhere...if it is in the works at all...?

I don't understand if it was present and integrated in the base install of 1.9.10...why it was not carried forward into 2.0. From what I read at beginning of this thread, Authorize.net seemed to work just fine for people using it in 1.9.10.

I am a little way into building this 2.0 site...hate to cut and run, and start over with 1.9.10 Loosing all my work thus far is a pisser..just getting installed was problematic...but I guess sooner than later is better if I am headed down a dead end street eh? *sigh...

In reply to Steve Houk

by Jeff Martin -

I guess it all depends how soon  you need to be in production.  Our time frame is sometime in 2011, so we have 3/4 of a year.  I read in another forum that Moodle 2.1 might be released in June.  Also I have read that nearly all of the improvements from 1.9 to 2.0 are great.  No doubt there are kinks to be smoothed out and I am following the discussion about the changes to the file picker.  Many 1.9 users DO NOT like the 2.0 file picker.  However, perhaps the 2.1 release will tune up some of these issues.  I am not too worried myself because the Paypal solution will do for now for us.  So I plan to stick with 2.x since that is where Moodle is headed.  However, like you I really want the Authorize gateway.

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Paulo Roberto Santos -

Please,

how add new currency in paypal?

I tried change settings file, but not work.

Thank you.

In reply to Paulo Roberto Santos

by Dan Trouten -

Hello, Paulo! I'm kind of new at the Moodle thing but have used PayPal. When you send someone to PayPal you are sending them to the PayPal system which, once payment is made, will tell Moodle "Yep...you got paid". You would need to set the currency in PayPal. In short, if I understand your question, Moodle isn't handling the money...it's PayPal. Their tech support can help you with your PayPal account settings for a new currency or multiple currencies.

Hope that helps!

Dan

by Jeff Martin -

just checking back in on this discussion.  any more news about an authorize plugin for moodle 2.0?

by Jeff Martin -

I read somewhere that only issues posted to the tracker get developer attention. So I created this http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27477.  I'm new to Moodle so hope I did it correctly.  I guess you can vote on the issue there, so go and vote!!

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Mohammed Hashim -

Any idea about having single pay for multiple courses.

In reply to Mohammed Hashim

by John Andrewartha -

One possible way is to create a vanilla course.  Say Maths Applied.  Put the cost on that room.   All the supporting courses are then made meta courses of the main course.  The meta (child) inherits the enrolments from the parent course.

If the meta courses have only the Manual and Meta enrolment plugins attached you will not get strays wandering in.   The rest is simple sequencing.

Hope that might help

by Muhammad Sobirin -

Hello there, I'm from Malaysia and new to this forum, and I would like to ask your opinion to integrate a payment gateway named iPay88.com. I searched thin and through this forums and most of it talked about authorize.net. And for the enrollment plug ins, is it for the auto enrollment if the moodle users have purchase the course?

Regards,
Sob 

In reply to Muhammad Sobirin

by David Ogunshola -

I really want to add to Sobirins question. I am a Nigerian and we want to integrate payment into one of our moodle sites just about to be launched. But Paypal is not supported in Nigeria.

I want to integrate an Interswitch payment gateway called Webpay.

Isn't there a template we can use to integrate any payment gateway? What parameters do we need to change to change a payment gateway? Any help on this will be very useful.

Thanks

David

In reply to David Ogunshola

by priyamol mohanraj -

Really I also need to add EBS Payment gateway instead of paypal. Can any one know how to do? If please,kindly share the ideas. It would be very helpful for me.

Thanks,

Priyamol.