I am at a small, liberal arts university in the USA using Moodle 1.9.9 with around 650 courses each Fall and Spring semesters. Our organization and approach to the naming of course sites is:
- categories for each academic year - e.g. 2010 - 2011 - and then subcategories for each semester - e.g. Spring 2011
- Full Name is the name of the course that the student/teacher will see and the teacher can change this if they would like. This is also what shows in the "breadcrumb trail" - did a little tweak to accomplish that
- Both the Short Name and Course ID Number are identical and are using the same naming/numbering listed elsewhere across the university with a semester and year tag added. The Short Name and Course ID Number cannot be changed by the teacher. For example:
- Full name = Greek Civilization
- Short name = CLA0731401-spring-11
- Course ID Number = CLA0731401-spring-11
The reason for tweaking the "breadcrumb trail" to show the full name of the course is because that is typically how students and professors refer to their classes.