Letter grade not being displayed and/or calculated correctly?

Letter grade not being displayed and/or calculated correctly?

by Susan Mangan -
Number of replies: 10

I did a preliminary search on this and can't find anything in the forums or bug tracker...

We are using v.1.9.7

Gradebook letter grades are set as per the attached screenshot. Specifically, the value in question is:  80.99 - 77.00 = B-

The student's grade is 5.39/7 which equals 77% which should be recorded as a B-.  The gradebook is displaying C+  when it should be B- (see screenshot)

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?  Is this bug-tracker worthy??

Thanks

Attachment letter_grades.JPG
In reply to Susan Mangan

Re: Letter grade not being displayed and/or calculated correctly?

by Susan Mangan -

for some reason I couldn't insert another attachment so here is the other screenshot:

Attachment letter_grades2.JPG
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Itamar Tzadok -

What does it show if you display letter and percentage? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Susan Mangan -

Still wrong.  C+ (77.00000 %)  I would hope that just changing the display wouldn't change the letter grade associated...

In the interim our instructor has modified the grade to read 5.40 instead of 5.39 to bump the letter grade up to a B- but it frightens me that the letter grades are not calculting correctly and I hope there are not too many other instances as that is a significant grade difference for a student.

I was going to report it as a bug but wanted tomake sure I wasn't missing something obvious ... like I'm know to do from time-to-time blush

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Itamar Tzadok -

That was just to see if the gradebook calcs the 5.39 as 77%. So that we learn more, what does it show if you enter 5.11? 5.11 should be 73% of 7 and hence show C+. But if the problem is systematic it should show C. And with a few more instances it could be generalized into a bug. If that's the case and until the potential bug is fixed, you could try as a workaround to modify the letter grade scale such that lowest are decreased by 0.01 and highest are increased by 0.01. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Susan Mangan -

5.11 displays as 73% and accurately records as C+

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Elena Ivanova -
I can add that I have replicated the same thing. B- should start when student gets 77%, but C+ is displayed instead.
Attachment 07Scr Dec. 09 12.18.jpg
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Bob Puffer -

my "wild hair" guess is that the 5.39 is actually 5.38xxx which is enough to draw the actual, unrounded percentage below 77%

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Susan Mangan -

Hi Bob,

In my mock up I typed 5.39 into the gradebook manually.  I don't understand what you mean when you say 5.39 is actually 5.38xxxx.

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Susan Mangan -