Breach in separate/private forums?

Breach in separate/private forums?

by Enrique Castro -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi,
I had instructed my teachers to setup groups within a course and add a forum in "separate groups" mode as way to maintain private conversations within a given group. For instance, to discuss topics (and share files) for a team assigment. I insisted in the private nature of the "separate groups" setting in the forum (within a wider course).

But, we have discovered that individual messages of those "private" forums can be accessed and readed by other non-group members. There a te two "holes":
a) The personal information page: you can see (and read) recent messages sent by a user. Even messages to a forum you cannot acces.

b) The search forums utility: again, the results will show posts from "separate" forums.

In either case, if a non-member user want to acces the whole thread, Moodle emits and error message indicating that you do not have right to acces that forum. But individual messages as displayed. If a keyword is quite used, almost the whole thread is accessible.

Some teachers at my site think that Moodle should not even mention the existence of those messages to non-member users. They see this behaviour as a "privacy" breackage. One complains that some students have "stolen" files from other groups in this way.

I feel that this behavior comes from the social constructivist philosophy of Moodle, but I cannot force all my teachers into that view.

I would like to ask your opinions on this topic. Is this a feature or a bug?. Perhaps it would be possible to add a setting to modify the behaviour (as it is or no report at all) on teacher option. Should I report this as a bug in moodle bugtracker, or as a feature request?.

- Enrique -
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Enrique Castro

Re: Breach in separate/private forums?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What version of Moodle are you using? I'm pretty sure these bugs were fixed in 1.4 or later.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Enrique Castro -
Hi Martin,
I've been off my site, giving a course about Moodle at University of Extremadura. Moodle is spreading in Spain, I hope we can form a league of Universities using Moodle.

Now back at work, our production server has version 1.40. I have checked this behaviour with the latest 1.4.3+. downloaded this morning, and the problem remains: when you search for a keyword the message body is displayed even if the user is not a member of the group, in a "separate groups" forum.

In version 1.4.3+ the personal information page does not reveal the messages sent to "private" forums, this is fixed. OK

But the other "hole", the search function, is there: revealing private messages to non-member users. So this is  half-fixed.

With I.5 the search utility fails (XML parsing error). This is a several days old 1.5 copy.

I will enter a bug report

- Enrique -
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I see the problem, not good ... unfortunately a fix will be less than simple ... someone should really look at it. wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Enrique Castro -

Hi Martin,

I've taken the glove, and I think I have a fix for this. I have attached a zip with modified versions of mod/forum/lib.php and search.php (modified from v. 1.4.3+).

I have added a couple of functions to check if user is allowed to see the post (taken from code already existing in user/view.php), and to trim display of non-allowed messages. The changes are marked with "// ECastro" comments.

Please, test it, I have done tests only in a Moodle4Windows "toy" deploy.

- Enrique -