Is intl-php incompatible with php 5.3?

Is intl-php incompatible with php 5.3?

by brian avery -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 2.0+ recommends the use of the intl-php extension. I know that someone also added a tracker (or whatever they are called)  about including a self-test to check php versions and to push users toward php 5.3 on the grounds (as far as I recall) that it was quicker.

Taking the hint, I upped my php from 5.2 to 5.3.

I didn't have a clue how to get and use intl-php and couldn't make head nor tail of the instructions in moodle docs, so I spoke to Hostgator (my hosts) to see if they would sort it out for me.

This evening, after chasing them for progress because intl was still showing as not being available, I got this response...

"I have escalated this to an L2 admin and they have found that this function (intl) will not compile with php5.3. There seems to be no issue with 5.2. I see that you had just upgraded to PHP 5.3, was there a conflict with your moodle version and 5.2 or was the upgrade just recommended? Would it be possible to use php 5.2 instead of 5.3? They can install it (intl) with that version of php instead of what you currently have."

If the above is correct, does this mean that there will be a conflict in future between wanting the intl extension and also running php 5.3? Anyway, now I guess I have to downgrade to 5.2 again to get intl working.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to brian avery

Re: Is intl-php incompatible with php 5.3?

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

They work fine together here (Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 LTS), PHP version 5.3.2-1 and php5-intl package installed, all from the normal Ubuntu repositories.

In reply to brian avery

by Just H -

BTW, I should have mentioned I enabled intl via Easy Apache on WHM when I upgraded everything else so if you have access to that you can do it yourself (I assume you have as you upgraded to PHP 5.3).

In reply to Just H

by brian avery -

Ah, well, I may well have access to this but I wouldn't know what to do with it (or what easy apache on whm is) if it bit me on the leg! I know how to open cpanel and... well, that's about it!

However, I sent your comments to hostgator to see what they say. Thanks.

In reply to brian avery

by Kajal Shaikh -

Just upgrading to php5.3 will not work , intl-php is compatible with php 5.3 so after upgrading to php5.3 you need to install php5-intl package separately.