video format

video format

av Whitney Lowe -
Antal svar: 4

Still working out some video issues and have 2 questions.

What is the best recommended video format to use in courses for video segments that are a few minutes long and about 20 MB file sizes. I have been told MP4 is best, but also heard that Moodle has some problems with it.

On a similar note, if I have a 20 MB video file, is there a way to have any kind of pre-loader where the video will start playing before most of the file has downloaded so the wait time is not so long?

Thanks very much in advance,

Whitney

Medeltalet av utvärderingarna: -
Som svar till Whitney Lowe

Re: video format

av Mary Cooch -
Bild av Documentation writers Bild av Moodle HQ Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Testers Bild av Translators

If you do a search on this site you'll find some useful discussions about the best video format. Personally I now convert everything to FLV and find that works fine with Moodle's built in player when the multimedia filters are enabled.

av Stuart Mealor -

Hi Whitney

I tend to use Flash .swf - small and compact.  Unfortunately because Apple and Adobe are fighting over their toys it won't work on an iPhone for example - although that might not be important to you anyway dealing with 20Mb files blinkning

If you create a movie in an application such as Camtasia, when you use advanced export options you can specify that the content should stream by choosing these options through simple checkboxes.  This basically adds a little extra information at the begining of the file which enables the streaming via the server.

Stuart leende

Som svar till Stuart Mealor

av Whitney Lowe -

Stuart:

That is very helpful!-- Especially because I am using Camtasia for part of this. I have Camtasia 7, and can't find these advanced export options. Do you know where they are in Camtasia 7?

Thanks very much,

Whitney

av Stuart Mealor -

Hi Whitney

I'm currently using Camtasia 1.2.0 on Mac.  I know there are still quite large differences between the Mac and Windows versions (in fact I don't think you can open the .cmproj file created on one platform version to the other - this was certainly the case previously).

In the Mac version we use:

Share > Advanced Export... > MP4 > Options > and then click on the 'Streaming' tab

Because menus are different between the Windows and Mac version I'm not sure it will be in the same place, but you should be able to hunt around for it, or maybe search for streaming in the Help files leende

On the Mac version choosing 'Export' there is also a box for generating the HTML required to embed the movie on a page leende

Stu