"Cool" rating system on this forum

"Cool" rating system on this forum

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone,

Am I the only person to really dislike the "cool" rating system on this forum?

I only use "Coolest thing ever" but I feel really gushing. But anything less implies a criticism of the content of the message. If I'm critical, I feel I should be upfront and say why I feel something is "Not cool" (but I don't sponteously express myself in terms of coolness), not just click on a button and make the author feel bad  but not give them any useful feedback.

I would much prefer to have the "Useful" rating as on Using Moodle.

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

Cheers,

Glenys

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: "Cool" rating system on this forum

by ben reynolds -

I don't think "old" can apply in your circumstance.

Would you please provide a multi-lingual translation of "fuddy duddy"?

How do you say in French "my tongue is firmly in my cheek"?

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Ben,

Google found for me this for fuddy duddy: "a person, esp an elderly one, who is extremely conservative or dull." (Collins - but American dictionaries say much the same.)

"Old" is of course a relative term and if you're 90, Ben, then, yes, I'm just a sweet young thing of 63.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I guess the original thinking was this is not meant to be a support forum at all (all the other forums are for that) ... imagine sitting on the lounge with a drink having a chat with some friends.   Being useful is not the criteria here.   Cool is only there for lack of a better one ... it's sort of a thumbs up to anything interesting.

Note you don't have to use the ratings at all!  Hit the reply button instead - it's a lot more interesting!  big grin

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by ben reynolds -

Hey, Martin,

I like the tropical pic, but, really, it is 30 F and blowing to the low 20's here in Baltimore. Couldn't we have some shivering people on a street corner instead of this "I live in paradise" pic? Perhaps as a mouse over? Like Trafalgar Square right now? Me mum is huddling in her N. Yorkshire house waiting for this weather to quit.

BTW, Helen & Mary do a great job of herding errant Lounge posters off to the right forum.

How cool is that smile ?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Couldn't we have some shivering people on a street corner instead of this "I live in paradise" pic? Noooo big grin This is the one place in the world where I am guaranteed a vision of  a tropical paradise when I come here, regardless of the season and weather!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

OK. I'll back off on reality. By February, I'll be looking at that picture and thinking about using my frequent flyer miles.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi everyone,

I love the pic - don't change that. Total escapism - wonderful. smile

I get the point that we don't need to be useful here, but maybe just "Cool" for the rating and no other possibility: it's assessing as more or less cool that I don't find... cool.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We could just turn the rating off ... it doesn't really serve much useful purpose, I agree.

I'll leave that to the facilitators to decide though.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I vote for Gleny's just keep one "cool" rating and that's it - either we like  a post or we aren't bothered enough to make a comment. A bit like on some sites where you can show you "like" something, maybe?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers

I think a 'Cool' rating system is ok for social forum - it's meant be relaxed and informal. Not sure about how many degrees of cool we need? I'm not a fan of 'Likes' such as those on facebook - it smells of data mining. Is 'Like' becoming the new 'Link' on the web? What do other people think?