Where is the "Site files" folder in Moodle 2 Frontpage?

Where is the "Site files" folder in Moodle 2 Frontpage?

by John Bonner -
Number of replies: 16

I just installed Moodle 2 and can no longer see a link to what used to be Site Administration/Front Page/Site files folder. I just want to upload an image here to be used on the Front page but the folder seems to be dropped from Moodle 2 - perhaps for security reasons. If so, what folder should I use for the Front page's image storage?

Also, how do insert the image then? If I click on the insert/edit image icon it insists on a url location, which I don't have. I just want to add an image from file.

Any help welcome,

JB

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Bonner

Re: Where is the "Site files" folder in Moodle 2 Frontpage?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you meaning the description of the site in  front page settings>front pag description? Gosh yes -so it does - I thought that has been fixed.  I suggest you tick the box that says "include a topic section" and that will give you an editing section on your front page - in that one when  you click the image icon you are able to upload an image as before. As for where are site files  -well they have gone. There is a whole new way of uploading and displaying files in Moodle 2.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Bonner -

Thank you. I reinstalled Moodle 2 as it wasn't properly installed. I was able to "incude a topic" as before in Front Page, edit the topic section and also upload an image from file. I see it's easier to resize the file now also,

Thanks again,

John

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Don Schwartz -

so where is the new method of uploading and display files explained?

In reply to Don Schwartz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There  is a short note on uploading and displaying files here

http://docs.moodle.org/en/File_picker#Standard_add_file_-_create_folder_option

and there is the beginnings of Moodle 2.0 documentation on different issues here

http://docs.moodle.org/en/index.php?title=Category:Moodle_2.0&until=Join+a+community+course

And there are some good videos on the new features of Moodle 2.0 here

http://tomazlasic.net/2010/11/moodle-2-intro-clips/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Guillermo Madero -

If I add a label to the topic section and then click on the Insert/Edit image button, the Insert/Edit image dialog box displayed includes a big Find or upload an image... button at the top.

However, if I do the same at the Front page description area, the aforementioned button doesn't appear, only the Image URL & Image description boxes are shown. Is this a bug or something done intentionally?

Does this mean that there is no way to put an image into the Front page description area?

Thanks!

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Mary Cooch -

Hi there. If I recall correctly at the moment- unless it's been fixed - and I will check - the front page site description area doesn't have an upload button; you're right. I remember it being filed in the tracker. If you have an image uploaded elsewhere you can add its URL and display your image in the front page description area that way, or else if you check the "include a topic section" in front page settings then you will be able to add a label -as you say - and upload your image to the front page like that.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes that worked!

I added the image to the label, saved the label, got the URL through the image properties and pasted it into the FP description area (quite a convoluted process).

But once again, Moodle 2 had still some surprises awaiting for me, hehe.

As that is the company logo, and it would be a bit too much displaying it twice:

1. First I tried hiding the label, but after I turned editing off, the label image was still displayed... quite unexpected.
  2. Then I tried editing the label: selected the image, pressed delete and clicked on Save changes... the image still appeared!
  3. So I finally ended by just deleting the label smile

By the way, I've noticed another quirk while working with the image: after I selected it on the editor and then clicked on any of the alignment buttons, the whole page was also aligned, not only the image inside the editor area.

At first I thought it was a problem with the Splash theme, so I tried it with the Standard theme and the same thing happened.

Thanks for your advice.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Guillermo Madero -

Last update with final solution...

While the proposed scheme works, one ends having the image displayed twice: both at the label and at the Site description block. If one hides the label, the image at the label is still displayed, and if one deletes the label, then the image is deleted as well.

One can set-up a File system repository, put the image there, make a label (in order to get the URL of the image), paste the URL into the Site description and erase the label. The problem with this solution is that once one logs off, the image stops being displayed as there is no permission to access the folder.

So the only solution, as you also mentioned, is to upload the image to a public folder (like domain.com/images/logo.png) via FTP and then use this URL at the Site description block.

Happy Christmas!

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Serena Holloway -

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem loading an image to my front page, in fact I'm having problems loading images full stop.  I followed the above mentioned process of copying and pasting the URL from my private files as the 'include front page description insert/edit image' box does not give me the option to upload files (my include a topic section box was ticked by default) but it gives me a little red cross as in the imjage won't open. 

While I a very new to Moodle and most certainly haven't tried everything yet, my private files is the only place thus far where I have been able to add a functioning jpg, everywhere else gives me the same little red cross. I'm clearly doing something wrong.  Please help.

Serena.

In reply to Serena Holloway

by Serena Holloway -

Also, the other day in my frustration I added a label to the front page with an image that didn't work, little red cross, go figue.  I am now trying to delete it but I cannot find 'edit' anywhere.  Assumably Moodle gives the user the possibility to edit a label, or the main menu block for that matter but I can't find it.  Everything I look up i.e. forums, docs says I should be able to 'add/edit' a block or a label but for the life of me I can only find 'add'. Thanks again. Serena

by Serena Holloway -

P.S. - I'm using Moodle 2

by Serena Holloway -

Ok, figued it out on my own, swapped computers and it works perfectly, must have some funky firewall settings or something.  still don't know how to edit a lable though... any ideas?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes, just open it and edit. Look for the hand and pen icon underneath  the label when you turn editing on, click it, then edit when it opens in the editor page. Or, if it is yet to be created, create it and type.

In reply to John Bonner

by Shane Jeffery -

Hi All.

We used to use the site files in 1.9 as a 'single sourse of truth' for files, images, docs, etc. that were used across all of our moodles.  no-one knew where they were stored except the admin team.

eg. we had a webpage which displayed our moodle terms of use.  This webpage was linked to from within all of our moodle courses.  That way if there was a change made it would automatically be changed in all moodles.

The other benefit was that the files were publically available and linked to all of our webspaces such as Youtube, Wikis, Blogs.w

Anyone kno how this can be achieved in V2

In reply to Shane Jeffery

by Shane Morgan -

The steps in the above posts of this topic should resolve your issues as in Moodle 2.0 files are handled in a different way. Insert label then use upload control from insert image to upload files into System/Front page/ (Upload a file). Hope this helps.

smile