Installing Moodle 2.0 on 1and1

Installing Moodle 2.0 on 1and1

by Steve Chorny -
Number of replies: 41

1and1 has a click n build app but they are not offering 2.0 yet.  They suggested I install.

Does anyone have any experience yet, installing Moodle 2.0 on a 1and1 Linux based host?  Any tips, suggestions?

Thanks... Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Chorny

Re: Installing Moodle 2.0 on 1and1

by Jon Neades -

I'm trying the same here with 1and1.  Thus far I've failed miserably. The initial problem was memory I suspect.  Each time I tried to install the install script failed with an out of memory error.  By populating every sub-directory with a suitable php.ini file BEFORE running the install script I managed to get Moodle2 to install without a memory error.  Hardly a satisfactory solution.  However, half the site is missing or unviewable with loads of HTTP 500 errors and this with a new virgin site without any content whatsoever! 

From the documentation it seems that Moodle2 requires somewhat more than128 Mb memory to run sucessfully.  That isn't really going to be an option with 1and1 (or I suspect any other hosting provider) although I haven't checked that with them as yet. 

For now we will stick with 1.9.10 and hopefully the memory hogging issues with Moodle 2 will be resolved.  If anyone has any suggestions however do please let us know

Thanks, Jon

In reply to Steve Chorny

by Brian Raak -

Yep, same here.  Tried an upgrade and a clean install.  The install seemed to go fine, and got the green lights.  Problem was most of my admin pages came up blank.

In reply to Brian Raak

by Julie Mohr -

Brian,

Did you solve this issue? I have my site up now and running but all the admin files come up blank. Makes it difficult to configure smile

Julie

In reply to Brian Raak

by Derek Runions -

Have you found any fixes for this yet? I am also trying to introduce Moodle 2 onto a new database on 1and1.

Install went well after adding the scripts for php5 and changing the default char.set but now any time I try to access my admin pages I am seeing a blank screen.

Debugging tells me it is a "Fatal Error: Out of Memory..." then lists a variety of directories depending on what admin feature I am trying to access.

Has anyone found a fix for this?  Can 1and1 even support Moodle 2?

Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

In reply to Steve Chorny

by Ray Johnson -

Hi, Steve!

I'm having some difficulty installing Moodle 2.0 on a 1&1 Linux based host (managed, not shared server).

Here's what I've done so far ... maybe this will give someone some information to point us in the right direction:

Clean 2.0 install, separate database gave this error:

=====

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/2/d{customer number}/htdocs/moodle-2.0/index.php on line 62

=====

I did a phpinfo() and got this:

=====

PHP Version 4.4.9
Configuration File (php.ini) Path     /usr/lib/php.ini

memory_limit    40M

MySQL
Client API version     5.0.67
MYSQL_SOCKET     /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
=====

When I add this .htaccess file:
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

I get this phpinfo:

=====

PHP Version 5.2.14
Configuration File (php.ini) Path     /usr/lib/php5
memory_limit    40M
Client API version     5.0.67
MYSQL_SOCKET     /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
=====

I can select the language
I can confirm the paths (I changed the Data Directory because the suggested one was being used by Moodle 1.9)
The only available database driver is Improved MySQL (native/mysqli)

I click next and give the following information:
Database host:      localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock
Database name:      db{database number}
Database user:      dbo{database number}
Database password:      {password}
Tables prefix:      mdl_
Unix socket:      (unchecked)

Click next.

And I get this error:

=====

Warning: mysqli::close() [mysqli.close]: Couldn't fetch mysqli in /homepages/2/d{customer number}/htdocs/moodle-2.0/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 305

and

Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (HY000/2005): Unknown MySQL server host 'localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock' (1) in /homepages/2/d{customer number}/htdocs/moodle-2.0/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 60

=====

If I change the database host to localhost:/tmp/mysqld/mysqld.sock

It doesn't work either.

I also added a php.ini file increasing the memory to 64M, but that didn't fix it either.

Any ideas?

In reply to Ray Johnson

by Joel Wallen -

I am having the same issue as explained above.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/2/d{customer number}/htdocs/moodle-2.0/index.php on line 62

Will monitor the forum for addional post on the subject, sorry I could not help.

In reply to Joel Wallen

by Michael Govar -

I'm getting the exact same error when I try to intall to my 1&1 shared linux hosting account.  I was able to install 1.9 very easily! 

I tried the php.ini file fix mentioned with no success. 

1&1 support was no help and said it was a coding problem.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/"...."moodle/index.php on line 62

In reply to Michael Govar

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by dhana sekar -

me 2 have the same issues mentioned above while installing moodle 2.0 friend.. did your issue fixed?

In reply to dhana sekar

by James Moon-Dupree -

I started with Moodle 1.8 and have been (still) using 1.9 for a while.

I have tried upgrading from 1.9 and virgin installs of 2.0+.  The last time I tried was a few months ago.  I got "complete" installation with some warnings.  My contact with 1and1 ended with no solution from 1and1, but some comments about security and xml-rpc. Pretty much have given up for the time being.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another hosting service?

James

In reply to Ray Johnson

by Peter Loesche -

Hi, Steve, hi, Ray,

featuring the same problem (managed server, 1&1, Moodle 2.x) I asked the support and got the right answer.
Each directory whith access to the database must contain a separate file 'php.ini' containing:
# # #
mysql.default_socket = / tmp/mysql5.sock
# # #
They informed me that the file 'php.ini' will not automatically comply for subsequent sub-directories (unlike the file '. Htaccess') and that the 'php.ini' files are not taken into account when using PHP as an Apache module.
This entry takes your script to MySQL5 on the socket. Please enter "localhost" as Database host in your moodle configuration file. Remember to change the default character set and collation of the "moodle" database to UTF8 (phpMyAdmin helps).

Good luck.

P.S. Formerly I managed to install and upgrade Moodle 1.9.x without problems on this managed server. "Click and Build" works also good first, but it is an old version (1.8.x in my opinion) and you get problems with file permissions, installing plugins/own themes, upgrading, copying the database etc. 

In reply to Peter Loesche

by Peter Loesche -

Hi,

here are some further explanations concerning the files php.ini and config.php http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=166666&parent=733080

by Mark Vehec -

After numerous attempts to get 1&1 support to assist with this, I found a solution (for me at least). I was installing into a new db and although the MySQL Admin control panel insisted that the db as UTF-8, Moodle install kept insisting it was not. I ran this query from the MySQL query area and it worked:

ALTER DATABASE mydatabasename charset=utf8;

Of course substituting the "mydatabasename" for your db. Found that info here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Converting_your_MySQL_database_to_UTF8

Now I am getting the memory errors. Doubt this will work on 1&1 after all.

Hope this helps some of you working on getting this up and running on 1&1.

Cheers.

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Vehec

by Derek Runions -

Has anyone successfully installed Moodle 2 on 1and1 yet?

i've tried and continually come up with the "insufficient memory error".

After contacting 1and1 they say that I have a 30mb php memory limit that cannot be increased or edited with script, recommending that I move up to a different package that allows for more memory (with a significant price jump)

If someone has installed Moodle 2 on 1and1, are you on a standard business package, and does anyone know the min. memory required for Moodle 2?

Thanks,

Derek

In reply to Derek Runions

by Kenneth Barbour -

I havn't installed moodle on a 1&1 system, but our moodles typically use 30 - 45 mb of memory.  This is going to cause you a problem with a maximum memory limit of 30mb.

In reply to Kenneth Barbour

by Derek Runions -

Thanks,

We are looking at changing our products with them to a Server package, but they have asked me if I simply need more memory or a specific PHP Memory Limit.

As a near total rookie at this, I'm not certain what the difference is.  Moodle 2 recommends 256mb min or ideally 1GB of RAM, but I can't find anywhere a mention of PHP  Memory Limit.

Can someone shed some light onto these terms for me and what I may or may not need.

Cheers,

Derek

In reply to Ray Johnson

by Baljé Weber -

Hi, i am not sure if this is a related post. The fix sugested by Peter doesn't cure it.

I get: Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'matierab_test'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in/home/metierab/domains/learningdevelopment.nl/public_html/test/moodle20/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.phpon line 65

When trying to install moodle on the database settings page. Server is running:

php: 5.2.16

MySQL: 5.1.52

On Apache 2 with the mysqli extension (translated form dutch PHPMyAdmin interface)

Where should i start looking?

In reply to Baljé Weber

by Rhyon Caldwell -

I just created an .htaccess file with:

AddType x-mapp-php5.php

And saved it to the root folder of the Moodle 2.0.1 and it worked fine.

Good luck!

In reply to Steve Chorny

by Joel Wallen -

If I remember right, they won't allow you to change certain file permissions in "Click and Build".

So, you cannot change themes or other add on's.  I believe that I wanted to add certificate module and couldn't.

JW

In reply to Steve Chorny

by Julie Mohr -

I have Moodle 1.9.x running quite easily on 1an1 as well and can not get a clean install of Moodle 2.0.1 on 1 and 1. I cannot seem to get a database file location that works. Can you please share how you have created (where, r/w permissions, etc.) in the 1 and 1 environment? I am also using the hosted linux developer plan.

I have tried creating a moodledata2.0 folder in the root directory using FTP. Then changing the permissions to 770, 707 or 750. None seem to work. The moodle2.0 folder is located in the same root folder. Here is the configuration I am using and the error I am getting:

/homepages/39/d{number-removed}/htdocs/moodledata2.0

/homepages/39/d{number-removed}/htdocs/moodle2.0

Error: Dataroot location is not secure

I have an .htaccess file in the moodledata2.0 folder with the following:

order deny,allow
deny from all

Thank you,

Once I get the database file to work, then it is off to fix the PHP errors (I got many of these as well but keep getting an error on writing data to my data folder.)

Julie

In reply to Julie Mohr

by Julie Mohr -

I was able to successfully get the installation to move past the database check by manually creating my config.php file and uploading it into my moodle directory.

I used the following (edited to remove customer specific information):

<?php  /// Moodle Configuration File

unset($CFG);

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysql';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'db{removed}.perfora.net';
$CFG->dbname    = 'db{removed}';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'dbo{removed}';
$CFG->dbpass    = '{removed}';
$CFG->dbpersist =  false;
$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://s{removed}.onlinehome.us/moodle2.0';
$CFG->dirroot   = '/homepages/39/d{removed}/htdocs/moodle2.0';
$CFG->dataroot  = '/homepages/39/d{removed}/htdocs/moodledata2.0';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777;  // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode

$CFG->passwordsaltmain = '{removed}';

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");
// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
// RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
?>

Everywhere that I placed {removed} is where you would put information specific to your SQL database that you create using the mysql Administration tool provided by 1and1.

Julie - on to solve the other issues.

In reply to Julie Mohr

by Edward Ocampo -

I am getting the following after it sets up the config file.

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

Please help.

In reply to Edward Ocampo

by Diane Hawkins -

Just tried to install Moodle 2.1.2+ onto 1and1 - following the insructions listed here http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/1and1_MySQL_installation cleared up the initial error messages and took me to the auto set up. However, once there the installation fails due to 1and1 running an earlier version of PHP: "version 5.3.2 is required and you are running 5.2.17" I have emailed 1and1 to ask if an upgrade is possible and their reply was: "We would like to inform you that the latest PHP version script we offer is 5.2.17. We do not support higher than 5.2.17 version script. Our Administrators are already working with PHP version 6.0 but it is still currently on beta state under testing period and we do not have specific time  when would our Admins will implement such feature." Just wondering how everyone seems to have got beyond the environment check? I have 3 other moodles running successfully on 1and1 but these are 1.9.2+ which run with earlier versions of php and mysql.

In reply to Diane Hawkins

by Peter Loesche -

Hi,

you can install the Moodle 2.0.x versions, since they require PHP 5.2.8. You can't update to the 2.1.x versions.  An experimental approach using a .htaccess file is described here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=183813 (M. Lanxess), but this may cause other problems later (PHP6 version is not supported, and they don't guarantee anything).

by Diane Hawkins -

Thanks Peter - I'll give it a go!

by Diane Hawkins -

Everything installed perfectly. Unfortunately, once I logged in every page since then has been blank.

by Diane Hawkins -

Looking through all forum posts as many people seem to have the same problem. The installation went smoothly and I got the home page up but as soon as I logged in I got nothing but blank pages from that point on. I can't remember where I read it now, but I did add the code to line 2 of the php.ini to check whether MySQL is supported in with php and it is. I decided to start again from scratch so have deleted the site and will reinstall tomorrow.

I know now add this line "mysqli.default_socket = /tmp/mysql5.sock" to php.ini and to put it into every folder and subfolder. Do I need anything else in the php.ini file, such as setting globals as for Moodle 1.9? I originally put config.ini info in here too - was that right?

Does anyone have a complete htaccess file and php.ini for Moodle 2.0.x to use with 1and1?  I have set the global setting for php to 5 in the one and one control panel so shouldn't need to add the instruction in my htaccess file. I do need to secure my moodledata folder with a htaccess file though - can anyone help with this please?

Thanks!

by Diane Hawkins -

For anyone else who needs it:

Re: Installation on 1and1 server
by Richard Enison - Thursday, 2 October 2008, 09:35 AM

Because it is potentially web accessible, another security hazard. If you have no choice about it, put an .htaccess file in the moodledata directory with Apache directives that will make it inaccessible to hackers with web browsers:

order deny,allow
deny from all

by Diane Hawkins -

According to 1and1 Customer Support, we are all wasting our time trying to install and run Moodle 2 in any shape or form. I have the top package and this is their reply: We would like to inform you that your package is UK Business  has an unlimited webspace. However, this package does not support Moodle 2.

by Peter Loesche -

Please ask them why their server is unable to manage Moodle 2.x. If it depends on the PHP version you could still install Moodle 2.0.x. I succeeded to install Moodle 2.0.1 on a managed server (1&1) with PHP 5.2.17, using the ridiculous instruction provided by the support to use a php.ini file in every (sub-)directory.

by Diane Hawkins -

I copied the hardware requirements for Moodle 2 and sent it to them asking why I couldn't install Moodle 2 (any version) on my managed server with them when I have a business account - webspace and MySQL are more than up to the job. They just said it wasn't supported - I'm thinking it's to do with the amount of memory they allocate. I will ask them again, but as I'm sure you know, they aren't exactly native English speakers/readers!

by Diane Hawkins -

Reply from 1and1:

It looks like it needs a php memory limit  of 256MB in minimum however our shared hosting packages only allocates up to 90MB.
We advise that you needed a dedicated server account for you to install Moodle 2.0 as it also requires PHP version 5.3.0 or later.
With dedicated server accounts, you can set your php memory limit and Php version used.

There is no way I can afford a dedicated server!

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I recently spent £50 of my own personal money on an account with

http://www.tsohost.co.uk/linux_webhosting.php

To install Moodle 2.1 and it seems to work very nicely indeed. Send me a message if you would like to have a play with the intallation to see what it will do.

Marcus

by Juanita Stone -

I just talked to 1and1 and they do have phpdev which is version 6.  Am I wasting my time trying to install and use Moodle on 1and1??

It's telling me now that I don't have Unicode 8 installed but my php admin site shows that I am running Unicode 8.

Now what do I do??

In reply to Juanita Stone

by pcdoc pcdoc -

I gave up with 1and1 and on recommendation from this thread moved to tsohost.co.uk

It is literally a one-click install to get to the latest 2.2 version of Moodle. I think there is a facility to run the cronjob too but I am not sure yet.

All in all worth the hassle of moving - I realise now how bad 1and1 actualy was!

Also, if anyone is considering cancelling their contract with 1and1 tread carefully, I had a few problems along the way..

In reply to pcdoc pcdoc

by Santi L -

I also give up trying to install moodle 2.0.3 in 1&1, afortunately I had my  account for less than 14 days, so I HOPE  could cancel it with no problems (it what says in the contract)

I'm thinking moving also to tsohost.co.uk, but no so sure because I'm from Spain, and the tecnical service will be a problem for the language, and I don't know if it will be more problems hosting in a foreing country?

I'm not worry about the posicional thing, because it's just for my students. What do you think about? I really appreciate any help

Which pack in tsohost have you rent? It's neccesary the pro?

Thank you in advance

Santiago

In reply to Santi L

by Piyush Pandey -

Hello everyone,

Today i have installed Moodle2.2.6 on 1and 1 hosting.

It is  working fine, i have just created a folder on root of my hosting and added .htaccess file containing

AddType x-mapp-php6 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php6 .php

and start the installation.

Please check the same by accessing the link http://www.bizlms.com/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Piyush Pandey

by Kevin Andrews -

Could you be more specific on what you did to get this to work?

Thanks,

Kevin