[ERROR] Scheduled backup status

[ERROR] Scheduled backup status

by David Gledhill -
Number of replies: 7

I have automated backup's set for once a week - yet every time it is scheduled - my largest courses come back 'unfinished.' There is clearly a size limit issue, however I do not know how to overcome this problem! Any thoughts and help are very much appreciated

Thanks

P.S. using 1.9.9 build on windows servers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gledhill

Re: [ERROR] Scheduled backup status

by David Gledhill -

Any thoughts on this guys?

by tsukareta desu -

there's a condiction on moodle/backup/backup_scheduled where it says that if the course->laststatus isnt equals 2 (unfinished) it wil makes the backup... perhaps if you change it on the database (table mdl_course) it enables you to backup the course...

by Alejo Becerra Diaz -

Hello.

There is little chance for anybody to help you much with so little info.

To begin with, did you try anything to solve the problem? If you don't, search a little in the forums and the docs, try at least some basic things (I'm not going to repeat it here for the nth time). If/when you do, tell us the results.

Moreover, we need to know a little more about your environment. "Windows server" is too vague: IIS? What version? Apache? What package (Xampp, Wamp, EasyPHP)?. PHP Version? MySQL version?

Greetings.

In reply to Alejo Becerra Diaz

by David Gledhill -

I'm running Moodle 1.9.7, MySQl 5.0.22 and PHP version 5.2.9.2 on

Apache!

I can manually backup i.e. on an individual basis. However with the amount of courses we have this will be extremely time consuming!

Sorry if this is still vague, but I'm not that technical!

Thanks

by Alejo Becerra Diaz -

Ok.

One of the "basic things" I refer to was, of course, trying manual backups. So, may I presume that you can manually backup the courses that return "unfinished" in the automatic backup? Do you use the same options (data included, files included...) in both types of backups? Try to manual backup a problematic course with everything enabled, to be sure that manual backups indeed works.

Check the backup log (admin menu-->reports-->backup-->click course name) for the exact description of the failed backup courses' procedure, specifically to know the stopping point. This can be a hint to the cause (an space or size problem if the error is writing to disk; a compression problemif the error is compressing...)

Try to increase php limits (execution time and memory limit, AFAIR, are the most relevant ones; see here). Try very high values, to discard or confirm its relevance.

Greetings.

In reply to Alejo Becerra Diaz

by David Gledhill -

Hi Alejo,

Thanks for your advice - I've now checked and both the Automated and manual backups stop at the same point, see below.  How do you think I should proceed.

Thanks in advance

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Creating XML file
    • Writing header
    • Writing general info
    • Writing course data
      • Course info
      • Blocks

by Alejo Becerra Diaz -

Hello.

Did you try changing the PHP limits? They are the usual suspects regarding unfinished PHP tasks...

Try changing them (remember that you have to restart Apache after any change to the PHP configuration), and doing manual backups.

Check this point thoroughly, because it is important to be sure before discarding this cause.

Greeting.