Quiz

Image Target for Moodle 2.0

Picture of Gabi Rosenbaum
Image Target for Moodle 2.0

I want to have the image target tool for Moodle 2.0. or another tool with the same features.

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Image Target for Moodle 2.0
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I would not be surprised if Adrianne converted the plugin to work with Moodle 2.0 in due course, but the changes in file handling in Moodle 2.0 mean it will be a bit of work, so I can't guess when it will happen.

Picture of Adriane Boyd

Definitely not in the near future, unfortunately, because I am swamped.  The file handling has become way more complicated, someone just reported that the image cropper library is broken in safari and chrome, and it should probably be updated to use YUI3, so there's a lot that needs to be fixed/updated.  Someone remind me in January to take a look?

(And then OU has plans to take over for 2.1, right?)

-Adriane

I guess you could say that the OU plans to take it over in 2.1. We are certainly building a version to work on top of the new question engine in Moodle 2.1.

Picture of Max Elander

Tim: any chance you'll be able to squeeze it in before 2.1?

Adriane has now updated this for 2.0, I think.

Picture of Adriane Boyd

No, I haven't updated image target because I haven't had time to figure out how to handle the image selection step with the new file API.  It'll also require some work to switch to a javascript image cropper library that works with newer versions of all browsers (CONTRIB-2538).  I think the YUI cropper would be a good choice, but it still takes some time and effort to make all the required changes.  And then there are all the remaining 2.0 db/backup/etc. changes.

It's certainly doable, but I don't currently have time to work on it.

Ah, sorry. I was confused.

Christian Rojas

(Translated with Google Translator, sorry.)

Hi Adriane,

Still busy?  :D    It is a great plugin and can not wait ;)

Thank you very much for developing it. I think both this plugin as ddmatch default should be integrated within Moodle.

greeting

---

Español:

Hola Adriane,

¿Sigues muy atareado? :D Es un gran plugin y estamos impacientes ;)

Muchas gracias por desarrollarlo. Creo que tanto este plugin como ddmatch deberían estar integrados por defecto dentro de Moodle.

Un saludo

Picture of Adriane Boyd

Sorry, I still don't have time to work on this.  I hope that the new drag-and-drop question types (developed by others) with similar functionality will be available for 2.1 soon.

-Adriane

Picture of Pia Jensen

I really need the plugin as well - still no chance that you get to fix it? sad

Picture of Steffen Fahl

This is true, Image Target is a question type, which LMS like ILIAS, or Chamilo already have as part of their standard package. It is really a pitty, that Moodle 2.1 dont. This was such a great questiontype of Moodle 1.9. I also hope it might be transfered to 2.1. in the near future.

best fahl5

Picture of Sébastien Masin

Hello Adriane

Thanks a lot for this great plugin.

Do you know if we can hope that you will have time to update your plugin to moodle 2.1?

We have almost 100 questions "image target" in our moodle 1.9 and we should upgrade to 2.1 in two month.

Thanks

Jamie Pratt is working on a similar, Moodle 2.1-compatible qtype, for the OU, but it is not done yet.

(When it is done, you will be able to get it from https://github.com/jamiepratt/moodle-qtype_ddmarker)

Picture of Sébastien Masin

Thanks but it's not 100 but 300 "image target" questions that we have created this past 5 years. We are teachers in k12 and we won't have time to "translate" this 3 hundreds questions in a new question type.

So we will wait for the Image Target qtype for moodle 2.x. And if it won't? No I can't imagine... but now I understand why ou network administrator told us that we shouldn't use the non-core modules. One of the strenght of Moodle and now our nightmare because we can't upgrade and we don't know if we will be able to.

Yes, that is the risk of using third-party code.

But, do not dispair. It should be relatively easy to write some code that automaticatlly converts old imagetarget questions into new ddmarker questions. You just need to persuade someone to do it.

I expect Jamie would be happy to do it. He makes his living doing free-lance Moodle development, and his rates are very reasonable.

Picture of Samuel Witzig

See my post in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196068. Jamie will write a converting script from imagetarget to ddmarker.

Picture of Jamie Pratt

As many of you wil be aware I have developed a new set of drag and drop and other question types for Moodle 2.1 onwards for the OU.

Code that I added to the drag and drop marker(s) onto image question type that automatically convert imagetarget question types to be ddmarker questions has just been code reviewed and added to the Moodle OU code repository on github. There are extensive instructions on the github page on how to convert your questions to the new question type.

Thanks to Samuel Witzig at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Winterthur for providing the funding to pay me to work on this!

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Adriane Boyd

I'm very glad to hear this has been implemented!

-Adriane

Picture of Jamie Pratt

Have just heard that someone who upgraded several hundred questions using the new upgrade code found that in some cases the coordinates of the correct answer were not correctly translated.

So it may be a good idea to hold off on converting questions. I will be looking into what the problem might be next week.

Picture of Jamie Pratt

Hi,

It seems that this :

Have just heard that someone who upgraded several hundred questions using the new upgrade code found that in some cases the coordinates of the correct answer were not correctly translated.

Was a false alarm. The upgrade script has being used by a couple of large institutions in Switzerland, I have been told. These are sites with hundreds of image target type questions and the upgrades went fine. smile

Jamie