Upgrade from 1.9 -> 2.0 - Plugins Check

Upgrade from 1.9 -> 2.0 - Plugins Check

by todd vainisi -
Number of replies: 19

I've been trying to upgrade a test site and I am stuck on the plugins check page.  In the big table of plugins, it shows hotspot and journal as "non-standard/missing from disk".  The "Upgrade" button beneath the table just brings me back to the same page.

How can I upgrade these two plugins?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to todd vainisi

Re: Upgrade from 1.9 -> 2.0 - Plugins Check

by Robert Maynord -

Todd: I seem to be having a similar experience.  My assumption was that I was bypassing the hotmail and journal plugins, but maybe not.  My post is here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=163126

Just as an experiment, I tried installing the hotmail and journal plugins, but that was no solution.

Robert Maynord

In reply to todd vainisi

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It shouldn't make any difference! Just checking that this is clean 2.0 code... you didn't try to unpack 2.0 over the top of 1.9 or similar?

Next thing is to try with Debugging on. You'll probably need to go the route of adding debugging lines in config.php

You could always delete the two activities in 1.9 before you do the upgrade - they are not (currently) supported in 2.0 anyway. There is a script in contrib somewhere that upgrades Journals to Assignments btw.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Robert Maynord -

Howard, by way of information - in my case I did not unpack 2.0 over the top of 1.9.  I saved the moodle directory and used the 2.0 moodle directory in full.  I tried copying the old config.php to the new directory, and it seemed to work OK.

Regarding the deleting of the two activities, I did not use them in 1.9 so there was nothing to delete.  They did not exist in my old mods directory.

Thanks!

In reply to Robert Maynord

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hmmm... they must have installed themselves at some point (even if you didn't use them). Possibly you've been upgrading from version were these were in core.
In reply to Howard Miller

by todd vainisi -

In my case, the code was brand new and installed in a new subdomain, but I am using a dump of my 1.9 mysql db.  I'm still stuck.   Maybe there is a way I can get rid of the mods (I'm not aware of using them) before the db dump and I can start over?

In reply to todd vainisi

by Robert Maynord -

Actually, I am using a dump of my 1.9 database as well. My understanding is that this should not be a problem.  Indeed, 2.0 requires an ugrade from 1.9!

My concern is that I have students using RC1 now.  I would hate to have to go back to the old 1.9 database and loose all the recent records..

In reply to todd vainisi

by todd vainisi -

As it turns out, we use the journal activity quite a lot.  I saw on another thread that the journal plugin has been subceded by Assignment->Online Text.  If I go through and switch all those out, deleting the original journal activity as I go, will that solve the problem and allow me to upgrade?  What will happen to the journal entries that existed?

In reply to todd vainisi

by Robert Maynord -

Interesting.  When I ugraded to RC1 I discovered Assignment->Online Text and started using it.  We had not used "journal" previously.  Given the fact that I am having the same problem as you, I doubt that switching out or deleting the old journal entries would solve the problem.

I wonder -- could the problem have something to do with the existence of Assignment->Online Text data???  Maybe 2.0 sees the old journal data as the same problem as RC1 Assignment->Online Text data?  (I know, it's a bit of a stretch)

by todd vainisi -

I have a similar problem  in that im gettings a db error which bails on the install and dumps me back to this screen.  My error is this one (different that the one you pasted in your similar thread):

Debug info: Table './authent1_dev/mdl_resource_old' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
SELECT * FROM mdl_resource_old WHERE type = ? AND migrated = ?
[array (
0 => 'directory',
1 => 0,
)]
Stack trace:
  • line 391 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
  • line 691 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 981 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_recordset_sql()
  • line 925 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_recordset_select()
  • line 51 of /mod/folder/db/upgradelib.php: call to moodle_database->get_recordset()
  • line 46 of /mod/folder/db/install.php: call to folder_20_migrate()
  • line 439 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_folder_install_recovery()
  • line 265 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1352 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 302 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

The last two lines seem to indicate this is failing on some type of non_core component, but interesting that we have two different dbs flagged.

In reply to todd vainisi

by todd vainisi -

Ok, I ran a repair on the table and thats not the error anymore.

Also, I was able to make the journal non-standard flag go away by grabbing the journal update (which was a pain to find) which is here: http://moodle.org/pluginfile.php/158/mod_forum/attachment/705606/journal_2010102800.zip

So, now I just have hotpot. And I'll assume that has something to with the next error below, which is now whats halting the upgrade:

Unknown error upgrading mod_resource to version 2009062600, can not continue.

In reply to todd vainisi

by Robert Maynord -

You might try downloading the hotpot module, like you did the journal update.  If you do, it will be interesting to see if you get the next stage error I did: Table "Customlang" already exists.

Just thinking: What if my version of PHP is too NEW?  Dunno...

by Robert Maynord -

By the way, Todd, did you go directly from 1.9 to 2.0, without trying any of the release candidates?  In my case, I went from 1.9 to RC1, and it worked,  My problem only began with RC2.  The upgrade directly from 1.9 to 2.0 is supposed to be no problem.

by todd vainisi -

I went from whatever version was most current about 5 weeks ago to Moodle 2.0.  I updated 1.9 when they sent the last security alert.

I did install the hotpot mod, but it still got stuck on a screen that said it was dealing with hotpot.  Only got that message once though, now it just says "Unknown error upgrading mod_resource to version 2009062600, can not continue" again.

In reply to todd vainisi

by Marc Grober -

My experience with the release candidates and upgrades from 1.9 is that I had to go and actually delete the modules that were flagged before the upgrade would complete (first checking in admin gui to make sure they were not present and if they were turning them off and deleting) and then deleting any remnant  via CLI.

In other words, I learned fairly quickly that while the upgrade might flag issues, it provided little or no assistance as to what to do about the issues or recover from any errors. One apparently sees this theme arguably continued in the lack of linking from the MyIsam warning to the InnoDB script, in the lack of detail regarding handling upgrades which have journal activities, etc.

I might suggest that anyone seriously wishing to move to Moodle 2 think about doing a fresh install, then adding modules and testing, then adding necessary repositories, and then restoring 1.x courses one at a time checking for breaks.

In reply to Marc Grober

by Robert Maynord -

Marc, your suggestions are helpful.  As an experiment, I did a fresh "clean" install of 1.9.10+.  It had no data.  When I attempted to upgrade to 2.0, I received the same hotpot and journal error messages.  No data!!

At one point, my understanding was that you could not yet import individual courses into 2.0.  Is that no longer the case?

by Marc Grober -

Gorsh! That's right! Moodle 2 was released without resolving that little item,  wasn't it..... See, http://docs.moodle.org/en/Backup_2.0

Frankly, I have to argue that 2.0 is not suitable for a production environment. Perhaps 2.0.1 will be,  but we shall see....  As long as there is no vettable processs to restore 1.9 courses to Moodle 2 it is arguably dangerous to upgrade.....  though what does suggest itself is to set up a barebones moodle 1.9 install that will upgrade, and then upgrade the install with one course at a time, then backing that course in 2.0 format and restoring a course at a time to your production 2.0 environment.

How bout you and me going into business to do that - lol.  We can set it up via scripts and paypal and suck a pile of money out of les pouvre petites to do what Moodle 2 should have been able to do....  evil

p.s. the journal module now has a new maintain, David, and it looks like upgrading to Moodle with with 1.9 journals and then installing the journal module may be an upgrade path,  if the upgrade doesn;t bork, as David and others report some success there.....  though I am still suspiscious about whether anything gets orphaned in the process and whether things will play well in the gradebook....  see the thread about this in the contrib journal forum forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=158766

In reply to Marc Grober

by Robert Maynord -

Unless there is someone who can outline an upgrade path that works, there appears to be little choice so far but to wait for 2.0.1, as you suggest.  I am in the middle of a school year, and students are working on courses day and night.  It is bizarre, though, because I am running RC1 - and it works.  I would hate to hear that 2.0.1 will import "good" 2.0 courses, but not "bad" RC1 or 1.9 courses.

Your idea about 1.9 to 2.0 may work somehow.  I'll have to experiment.  It seems that a single old/problematic course in the mix could botch the whole process.  As you say, you would have to do one course at a time, going through the full upgrade to 2.0.  Time consuming.

Your idea about a business is great!  Ha!  There must be a full house of Moodle users still on 1.9 waiting to upgrade.....

by todd vainisi -

I've been wondering about that too. I upgraded all the way to 5.3.3.

In reply to todd vainisi

by Jeff Stanford -

Hi. I've just tried upgrading a moodle from 1.9.3 to 2.0 and got the error message:

Unknown error upgrading mod_resource to version 2009062600, can not continue.

I temporarily removed the 'resource' folder from the mod folder. Installation then worked. As soon as I restored the resource folder to the new installation, I got the error message again.

If anyone finds a solution, I'd be glad to hear of it as clients are now asking for version 2.0.

Thanks

Jeff