Summary of Attempt page

Summary of Attempt page

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -
Number of replies: 10

I am previewing a quiz In Moodle 2.0. It has 10 questions per page. I answer just the first question and finish the attempt. But the Summary of Attempt page shows Questions 1 – 10 as Answered, the rest Not Answered. The next time, I again answer only Questions 1 and it shows Not Answered for all questions. This goes back and forth. What is happening?. What is an "Answered" for multanswer questions? Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

Re: Summary of Attempt page

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This may not work properly for all question types yet, but I thought I had fixed most of the problems. Please try to analyse what you are seeing in terms of question type, and let us know if that makes any more sense.

Because of the limitations with how Moodle works, "Answered" means "Anything, even if only a partial answer, saved for this question." (New question engine in Moodle 2.1 should change the definition to 'All parts of the question answered'.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

I am using multianswer cloze questions that look like this:

a. Ques1a

{:MCH:%-100%True~=False~Not Sure

b. Ques1a

c. Ques1a

d. Ques1a

e. Ques1a

I get "Answered "for questions on pages I view, whether the questions are partially answered or not at all. Hope this helps.

Tieku

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Hello Tim

I have come back to testing Moodle 2.0.2 after a couple of months. I have cloze multi-answer questions in my quiz with 10 questions per page. I am just wondering why on the Summary of attempt page, it shows Answered for questions on pages I have viewed but not necessary questions that I have answered/attempted. Can this behavior be changed? Thanks.

Tieku

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That would be a bug. I don't know if we have a bug report about it yet.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tieku,

Let's try to clarify your problem.

A Cloze question contains a number of "sub-questions". When you say "I have cloze multi-answer questions in my quiz with 10 questions per page." do you mean you have on each page of your quiz a) one Cloze question containing 10 sub-questions or b) you have 10 Cloze questions on one page?

I do not see the problem you mention on my moodle 2.0 installation. On page 1 of a quiz I have placed 1 Cloze question with 3 sub-questions.

If I do not attempt any of the subquestions in the Cloze question on page 1 and move on to the next pages, on the Summary of Attempt page I see question 1 as "Not answered" (as expected).

If I attempt any one or more of the Close question #1 sub-questions on page 1, then the Summary of Attempt page shows that Cloze question #1 as "Answered".

This all works as expected, since, as Tim said, for the quiz mechanism a Cloze question is considered as one question,  whatever the number of sub-questions it contains, and from the moment you have answered one of its subquestions, the whole question is marked as Answered.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Hello Joseph,

Good news is Tim and Pierre have just fixed this problem. To explain I have 10 Cloze questions on a page, each containing 5 sub-questions. With the fix, when I answer at least one out of the 5, it comes up as Answered on the Summary of attempt page. Before the fix, it showed Answered if you viewed/visited the page, and did not even answer a question, or sub-question.

Tim and Pierre,

I have another question, and please let me know if I need to report this as a separate bug in the tracker:

Is it possible to indicate the question as “Partially Answered” when at least 1 sub-question is answered (i.e. 1-4 sub-questions answered in my case) and show Answered when all sub-questions (5 in my case) are answered. This would be similar to a questions being graded/feedback wrong, partially correct, or correct.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Tieku

by Tim Hunt -

Partially answered. Not in Moodle 2.0.

In Moodle 2.1 it will be the case that questions are not marked as 'answered' until all parts of the question have been filled in.