Moodle 2.0 Upgrade - Admin login goes to blank screen

Moodle 2.0 Upgrade - Admin login goes to blank screen

by Keenan Daniels -
Number of replies: 10

I just spent the last 4 days updating http://2020earth.com/moodle to Moodle 2.0. After every step there is a huge problem to resolve. Currently I have gotten the program to go through the last problem of not having a mysqli extension. Now, I try to login and it logs me in but the page, all pages are blank. I notice this is not the case if I login as a guest so I suspect it is only happening to me as an administrator.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keenan Daniels

Re: Moodle 2.0 Upgrade - Admin login goes to blank screen

by Keenan Daniels -

My php configuration can be seen here: http://2020earth.com/moodle/test123.php

by Keenan Daniels -

It gives this error with debugging on. Any ideas? Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 42467328) (tried to allocate 8192 bytes) in /home/nealr/public_html/moodle/lib/questionlib.php on line 1

by Keenan Daniels -

It seems pretty obvious that there is no support around here, with people left to basically fend for themselves by the maker of this garbage product. Utterly disgusting. I will wipe this non-sense installation out and start over with 1.99

by Andrew Davis -

Tim is your man for problems in /lib/questionlib.php. Ive messaged him to make sure he sees this.

In reply to Andrew Davis

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Keenan, I don't know which time-zone you are in, but in my time zone you first post was at 7:00pm, and your 4th post was at 11:25pm. So apologies that I was at Go club, and then an orchestra rehearsal, rather than being around to help with your support proboblems.

Anyway, your error message is weird, because according to the phpinfo you linked to, your server is set up to limit memory usage to 110MB, which should be fine, but the error message you get is it failing to allocate more than about 42MB of memory, which is not enough for Moodle. You really need to take that up with the people who host your web servers - it is a server configuration issue, not a Moodle issue.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Keenan Daniels -

Ok. So, I have contacted the host. They had me first upload some .htaccess mods and then a php.ini file. With both things it went to a server configuration 500 error. Is there an idea of what should be corrected?

by Keenan Daniels -

I have a second question too. If it is a server  configuration issue, how is it that this only occurs when you login as an admin?

by Carlos Timossi -

I have exactly the same problem. Did you solve it in any way?

Thanks

Carlos

by Graeme Lewis -

Hi, I've just been struggling with something that sounds very similar to this issue and have (for the meantime...fingers crossed...a solution!)

I tried a number of setting in my php.ini (and php5.ini) RE memory and whilst phpinfo would tell me it has picked up these settings I continued to have issues when it came to accessing certain parts of the site - mainly settings.php assocaited pages but a number of others too.  When I turned debug on (done via the db table mdl_settings as I could not get access to the correct Moodle page to do this via the front end!) then it reported the fatal "out of memory" error message but on reloading the same page the file and line it referred to changed almost every time - thus it led me to thinking that the problem was not where it was being reported - shocker!!

I also saw in my server (on a hosted package BTW...which may be an important point to note!) error logs a message RE "zend_mm_heap corrupted" which again led me on a whild goose chase (I think!).  Anyhow, after spending many hours trying various settings in php.in (and php5.ini just in case since I am using php 5 as default and they have php 4 installe don my hosting) as well as entries in my .htaccess file I came across the the following suggestion (from my hosting provider) to set in .htaccess "RLimitMem 128000000" (I have actualy set it to 256000000 to match the 256M limit in php.ini but will experiment on how low I can go later).

I have the following on my .htaccess file (just in case it is also useful)

SetEnv DEFAULT_PHP_VERSION 5
php_value memory_limit 256M
php_value realpath_cache_size = 128K
php_value realpath_cache_ttl = 150
RLimitMem 256000000

and the following in my php.ini (AND php5.ini)

max_execution_time = 60
upload_max_filesize = 12M
post_max_size = 12M
memory_limit = 256M
display_errors = 0
register_globals = 0
realpath_cache_size = 128K
realpath_cache_ttl = 150
display_errors = on
log_errors = on
display_startup_errors = on
error_reporting = E_ALL
output_buffering= 8192

(note: .htaccess and php.ini and php5.ini are in the root of my Moodle 2 instalation NOT the root of my hosting as some suggest)

Some of this may be overkill and some is for debugging purposes but I will experiment on what I can drop later...I'm just glad I have managed to get it to work.  FYI I also had issues on install with the part that creates the tables in that I did not get the continue button appearing but an F5 on this page seemed to complete this process with the appearance of the continue button and it seems to have completed.  I had this issue with Moodle 1.9 also and have a number of successful and live instances running even after this so not sure what went on other than perhaps a timeout due to slowness (remember...I'm using a shared hosting service)

Hopefully some of this is useful to those out there trying the same thing and it works for you.  100's if not 1000's of times read posts that folks have had similar/same problems to mine and they have posted - "I've got it working now" with no explanation so...here's mine and I hope it works for you.

In reply to Graeme Lewis

by Patrick Bourne -

Hi all,

No idea if this may benefit someone at some point, but having trawled through the forums try to fix the blank after login issue, I finally noticed that GoDaddy had rolled back my php version to 5.2 sad

Soon as I put it back up 5.3, everything worked again smile

Cheers

Patrick