Anonymous Evaluation

Anonymous Evaluation

by Vernellia Randall -
Number of replies: 10

Can someone tell me where in 2.0 you select anonymous student evaluations? Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vernellia Randall

Re: Anonymous Evaluation

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It is controlled by the two capabilities now. See Workshop permissions page from the Settings block. Teachers locally overwrite roles' permissions if the default settings do not fit their need.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Brandon Horn -

How can I give editing teachers the ability to change the student permissions for a single workshop?

In reply to Brandon Horn

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you mean just for one workshop in the course and not for others?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Steve Iman -

I'd much appreciate some clarity on this as well since when one clicks to information about what some of the permissions mean, we're in a situation of undeveloped documentation.

When I'm in a particular workshop, and select permissions in the settings menu, I get to a page with the title of the particular workshop. I'm hoping these aren't permissions to be set on ALL workshops, though I'd like to know. In my application with classes of 50+, I have small groups where ratings shouldn't be anonymous, but also major paper assignments where random selection of reviewing panels would be helpful, and so anonymity would be desirable.

There are several default settings here. Students are privingd permissions to peer assess, submit, view author names, and view published submissions. If I understand it, submissions aren't themselves 'published' by default unless the faculty member clicks a relevant setting in the set-up. I'm guessing that prohibiting the permission "view author name" would make both the submitter and reviewers anonymous to one another? I further assume from my experiments that rater comments are not made available to the author for learning or feedback purposes. Any help at clarifying the functions of the module in it's new form would be much appreciated.

In reply to Steve Iman

by David Mudrák -

Hi Steve,

we're in a situation of undeveloped documentation

I just created wiki pages for all workshop capabilities, thanks for raising this.

I'm hoping these aren't permissions to be set on ALL workshops

Correct, this is Moodle core screen that allows you to tweak permissions in the context of a single activity module instance

submissions aren't themselves 'published'

Correct, teachers can selectively pick submissions to publish when the workshop is closed

prohibiting the permission "view author name" would make both the submitter and reviewers anonymous to one another?

Prohibiting this would hide the submitter's name from reviewers so the assessment would be anonymous in that reviewers do not know who they assess. To control whether submitters know who they are assessed by, capability "view reviewer name" is checked. Note that in 2.0, the anonymity setting is bi-directional and can be asymmetric.

rater comments are not made available to the author for learning or feedback purposes

Oh really?! That would be obvious bug then! Assessment comments must be available to the author when the workshop is closed. Have you tried switching the workshop to the closed phase and looking at it as the submitter?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Steve Iman -

Thanks a million, David. This is very helplful for a slow learner like me. I'll look for those WIKI pages for other neat features. There are rich options for each workshop to be found by course designers who selectivly use fine permission settings available toward the bottom of the permissions setting page available at "settings" while they have the workshop itself in edit mode.

You're absolutely right. Comments from students are disclosed with their ratings, but not their names, after the workshop is closed. They are not emailed, but posted in full.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

"Prohibiting this would hide the submitter's name from reviewers so the assessment would be anonymous in that reviewers do not know who they assess. To control whether submitters know who they are assessed by, capability "view reviewer name" is checked. Note that in 2.0, the anonymity setting is bi-directional and can be asymmetric."

In My moodle 2.0.2+ installation capability "view reviewer name" is working correctly, as if I log in as a fake student I can't see who have been my reviewers. But unfortunately the "view author name" capability isn't working because I can see the name of the users who submitted works I'm assessing.

Can you (or anyone) confirm this bug? I know workshop module is not widely used, but being a standard Moodle module it should be free of those nasty bugs, specially ones that have security implications (personal data unveiled).

In reply to Orestes Mas

by David Mudrák -
Hi Orestes,

I just tried and I am unable to reproduce the error. For me, both capabilities work as expected. Can it be that the user who can see the author names in your case, has also another role assigned which grants them that permission?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

I re-tested and by now it's working as expected. Sorry for the noise.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Leslie Russek -

I am trying to modify permissions for a workshop so that both author and reviewer are anonymous. I can get to the permissions page, but see no way to "check" boxes next to the different roles for workshops. And how do I set it differently for different workshops - go into permissions for each workshop? Why can't the anonymous check box be on the workshop setup page, like it was in the older version.