Adding Hyperlinked Images on the Frontpage of my Site...

Adding Hyperlinked Images on the Frontpage of my Site...

by Helen Giannoutsou -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

I'm working on a theme and I've made a few changes to the header and footer areas without any problems. However, I would like to add a few hyperlinked images on the frontpage of my site and this is where I'm having difficulty. By the looks of it I should make a few changes at the "generalbox" element in my css and I should add my html code somewhere but I don't know where as I'm not familiar with PHP.

I would appreciate it, if someone could enlighten me on this one.

Thanx in advance,

Helen smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Giannoutsou

Re: Adding Hyperlinked Images on the Frontpage of my Site...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want hyperlinked images on your front page you shouldn't ordinarily need to add these into the theme - they would go in the central section in a topic area - go to site admin>front page>front page settings and tick "include a topic section" Then go back to your front page with the editing turned on and add your images via the text editor there and hyperlink to them in that way

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Giannoutsou -

Hi Mary and thanx for getting back to me. I had a quick go at what you told me and I'll probably use a label as I want to have the images visible on my front page. I hope I'll get at what I really want.

Thanx a million smile

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Helen,

I'd second Mary's advice to just add the pics into the topic section of the front page using the html editor and add the hyperlinks from there. That's what I did on my school site and it has worked well for users whether they are logged in or just browsing.

http://deriview.org.uk

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Helen Giannoutsou -

Thank you Richard! It's something like what you've done to your site I want to do and I will definitely follow your advice. I'm using the Aardvark theme like you've done. Your site is cool I must say! Thanx again smile

by Richard Oelmann -

No problem Helen

Always happy to try to pass on what I have learned from others on here.

As well as my school site, if you take a look at roelmann.net you'll find a site I have for just playing around with things as I'm learning about them. On there I made some notes about how I adjusted the aardvark theme and how I went about setting up the big buttons and the roll-over effect on them. May (or may not!) be of some use to you? No username needed just log in as a guest if it asks.

Richard

by Helen Giannoutsou -

Thank you again Richard! You've done some really good work which is of great help for newbies like myself! smile

Cheers,

Helen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Richard - what a lovely way of using your Moodle as your primary school site and thanks for sharingbig grin I have bookmarked it, as people are always asking me for examples of primary Moodles as so many of them are, understandably, locked up. Just a couple of things that intrigued me though - this is great functioning as your website but do you also have a Moodle you use with the pupils for work, etc? I was wondering what the default permissions are too because although you have set it to guest access, we can see hidden activities, profiles, logs and the gradebook (and export grades if there were any) This isn't normally the case for guest access so I wondered why you had chosen to do this - or are you aware of it? It worries me  because guests are able actually to edit your site news forums and this could potentially bring you some unpleasant spam? I'm not trying to be negative, honestly, as it is a lovely Moodle -but I am concerned about some elements of its security.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

I did become aware of it a few weeks ago. It is an error in my resetting of permissions in setting up a parent account and not an intentional outcome.

unfortunately due to work commitments in school (you know, that actual pesky job of teaching the children!! lol!!!) I have not yet had opportunity to go in and fix my errors and with both not having had any issues to date, and with my intention to upgrade to Moodle2 anyway over Christmas, the fault has managed to find its way to the bottom of my priority list - although I do know as a security issue this should definitely NOT be the case for an IT webmaster, as a teacher who doesn't get any website management time other than my own at home... Again, unfortunately, persuading the powers that be that my website is a crucial part of the home-school links and informative to prospective parents and so beneficial to both the school and the pupils currently falls on, if not deaf, then rather hard of hearing ears! But as with all teachers we continue to do what we can as much and as well as we can for the children smile

ps. your moodle for teaching 7-14 year olds was/is! a fantastic resource which I used extensively in my own learning during the summer holidays and since (I have a localhost instal on my school laptop which I use with my class as our school network can be frustratingly slow!)

Thanks

Richard

by Mary Cooch -

thanks for your kind comments re the book -and  I absolutely have to say that I came back to this forum having spent hours and hours -well, most of my weekend, working on our school's Moodle ready for Monday ( I need the weekend to catch up on work I don't have time to do in school time!) - I totally empathise with your situationsmile