Installing Moodle and Database on two different machines

Installing Moodle and Database on two different machines

by DeWayne Demland -
Number of replies: 4

I am installing Moodle on my own server. How do I instll the moodle softe ware on one machine and the Data base information on another machine?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to DeWayne Demland

Re: Installing Moodle and Database on two different machines

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I thought we already had this discussion DeWayne? Some time back, or it may have been someone else... thoughtful  ... In any case, if you properly install the sql database server on another server, then all you need do is, in your config.php file, point it to the new server... e.g.

$CFG->dbhost    = 'http://192.168.102.254/'; (or whatever ip address the host has. )

Should be enough... The moodledata folder is still on your local machine, good luck...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by DeWayne Demland -

Thank you for the help. I have been away from this project for some time. Not sure if I have asked this or not, I apologize if I did. I have had two hard drive changes and a loss of all my historical information.

In reply to DeWayne Demland

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yeah, know what that is like... and it is easy to forget, and harder to learn, particularly when you install a brand new hdd only to find it works for a day or two then stops working... only time ever happened to me, and drive was replaced, but in the meantime the frustration at it all falling apart is a bit hard to take, then to rebuild everything...sad

In reply to Colin Fraser

by DeWayne Demland -

Another question that should be simple, I think. I am installing the moodle on one machine and the database on the other. How to I create a blank database in mysql on that machine. I can not get the mysql on it to run. I think I am doing something wrong.