Meta course as shared "repository"

Meta course as shared "repository"

by Gerrard Shaw -
Number of replies: 2

Even though we're quite early on with our Moodle site our tutors have already been asking about the possibility of sharing resources between courses etc. Ideally I'd have some kind of searchable repository but until we get to Moodle 2.0 I don't think there's anything (free) out there that will integrate with Moodle?

Initially we've been setting users as tutors on each others' courses so they can import from each other but it gets a bit clunky in My Moodle so looking for something better.

We had a shared resources course but that then relies on tutors importing all resources as they need them (and gets some duplication).

Started reading a bit more into meta courses and it seems ideal... I create a resource area as a Meta Course then each tutor who wants to access it has their course as a child course. At that point the sudents should be able to access the resources and the tutor could add the resources to their own coure layout by hyperlinking to the appropriate resource.

It seems to be working fine in initial tests, are there any gotchas I need to be aware of? I'd imagine quizzes would be best off being imported into the "proper" courses for grading etc but apart from that does the idea sound reasonable?

Thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerrard Shaw

Re: Meta course as shared "repository"

by Thomas Eibel -

Hi Gerrard,
we use MetaCourses the same way, you described. And it works fine.

We have our Class-Courses in a category 2010.11 and parallel to that a category Content, where i.e. skripts and material are stored. Next year, the classes are in category 2011.12, but content remains in category Content, parallel to the Class-Courses.
This assures, that the links remain the same when moving to the next school-year.

Sometimes there are files we want to share in a content-course, but only for teacher. We just use hiding of blocks, if we do not want students to see them (since they can access the MetaCourse and find all ressources available there).

I really like the concept of MetaCourses, since it is simple and fits in the overall concept. With some slight extensions it would be perfect. Biggest issue in my opinion is what you already mentioned: that it is not possible to create questions in a MetaCourse and access them from the ChildCourses. The actual solution is not consistent to me, but a weird patch-work (in former versions, there were other issues to be solved, but with the actual solution I can hardly cope - copying quizzes from course to course).
I'm really curious, how repositories in moodle 2.0 works ...

Best Regards, Thomas

In reply to Thomas Eibel

Re: Meta course as shared "repository"

by Joy Pegrum -

HI Thomas - I've just posted a query in this forum - something along the lines of Gerrard's query that you were answering here.  The problem I have is that the course in question, the one with links out to the repository, is already a child course of another meta course.  Can I also then make it a meta course itself and retain its status of child course to the original meta?  If so, would this then prohibit anyone enrolling on just the 'child' repository?

(Oh dear - I think I need to swat up on meta courses! )

Actually, your 'hiding' strategy might be my best solution, although I'll have to swat up on how this will work with other users.  Please see my structure below and any advice you have will be gratefully received.

Many thanks & regards

Attachment LZ-VCampusStructure.JPG