External DB Enrollment vs. Writing Directly to User Table

External DB Enrollment vs. Writing Directly to User Table

by Logan Modine -
Number of replies: 2

I'd been struggling with the external db plugin on moodle 1.8.13, and decided to write a script to insert users directly to the mdl_user table.  This seemed to make more sense than passing the user to a temporary table and then executing the various Moodle enrollment / authorization scripts.

My question is, is there any advantage to the external db system vs. writing directly to the user table?  All the databases in question are on the same server, so it seems like security would be the same either way.  Thanks for any insight.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Logan Modine

Re: External DB Enrollment vs. Writing Directly to User Table

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If inserting the users in the mdl_user* table would be enough, don't you think the external db enrolment plugin would be only doing that? smile

[*] By the way, mdl_user is not the place where enrolments are stored. We put user details there, but not enrolments

If you don't execute those "various enrolment scripts", then some (most?) of the enrolment information needed by Moodle will be missing.

Saludos.
Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Re: External DB Enrollment vs. Writing Directly to User Table

by Logan Modine -

Moodle does a lot of things I don't need it to do. wink