Assignment advanced file uploading

Assignment advanced file uploading

by Jim Huether -
Number of replies: 10

I have 2 simple questions (I think). I have read about the Assignment Module and also about the Advanced File Upload module. Sounds like what I need.

So where do I find these, and how do I add them in to Moodle?

Do I need to have Admin Privilieges or is the Teacher role good enough?

Please help.

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Huether

Re: Assignment advanced file uploading

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Jim,
Those are standard Moodle activities, and they should be available to teachers by default.
If you go to a course site and click Turn Ediding on, you will be able to use Add an Activity dropdown menu and add an Assignment to the course that way.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Jim Huether -

Elena,

Thanks. How silly of me. I just never used it before, so forgot it was there. From reading on Moodle docs it sounded like it was an addin module.

In any case, I enabled it and tested sending a document (in this case a PPT file) as a dummy student. I DID get an email about the submission, and WAS able to find it, HOWEVER, it opened it on MY machine!

Is there a way to attach functionality to Moodle so it can open files like Microsoft Word or Powerpoint by itself, and not require my PC to open them?

JIm

In reply to Jim Huether

by ben reynolds -

Just backing up Elena with the instructions we give our instructors about Using Advanced Uploading.

How to Post Critiques & Reports
  1. Write your critique or report.
  2. Click on the Assignment in the Topic Outline (e.g., Assignment 1). Main page, center column.
  3. Click on No attempts have been made on this assignment or View X submitted assignments, in upper right.
  4. Upload the file or cut and paste into box. [FYI, right now you and the student can both upload 3 files max per assignment/report. You can delete a file by clicking on the X after its name.]
  5. If you upload a file, you MUST also insert a comment in the feedback box or the student won't be able to see your file.
  6. We don't do "grades," but please change the grade in the upper right corner above the feedback box.
    No grade = work not yet turned in.
    0 = unacceptable or late work (not turned in yet). Follow Handbook instructions for late work.
    1=student work in & critique has been posted.
  7. Save changes.
  8. For Progress and Midterm Reports, when you have uploaded/posted a report, go out to the main classroom page and click on the closed eye to open it up. Once the eye is open, the students can access your feedback by following the directions below. [If you don't see the closed eye, click on the "Turn Editing On" button on the Home page and the eye and other options will be revealed.]
  9. Send email to students and parents that your critique or report has been posted in the classroom. Be sure to instruct them how to access it and how to post a parental acknowledgment that it was read.

How Student and Parent Access Instructor Feedback

Students and parents:
  1. Log into the course and click on Assignment or Report
  2. Students: Please read the critique or report (If the instructor provides an attachment, click on the attachment icon on the bottom left of the page).
  3. Parents: Please scroll down to the end of the page--not to the end of an attachment-- to the Notes section, click on Edit, enter your name and comments, and click on Save Changes. This Note lets the instructor know that you have read the feedback.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Jim Huether -

Ben,

Thanks for the info. I have just a few questions on your reply.

In your steps, are you assuming the student has already uploaded his/her assignment, and your instructions are for the teacher?

Also, in item 7, you say "save changes". Where do these changes get saved, somewhere on Moodle, or do I have to save them to my PC?

Jim

In reply to Jim Huether

by ben reynolds -

Hi Jim,

1) Yes, assuming student has already uploaded the assignment (uploaded some file or another)

2) Yes, instructs are for teachers

3) Save changes is a button in Advanced uploading of assigns. A more useful button is "Save (changes) and show next", which shoots the teacher to the next  user.

FYI, most changes are saved to Moodle because the student + teacher interface needs to know what is happening in order to tell both the changed situation (non-programmer response).

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jim Huether -

I hope I don't seem like a complete idiot, but I loaded a Powerpoint presentation to the test Assignment I set up. When I go to the Assignment as the Teacher, I get to a screen in Moodle where I can see the file I loaded as a student. What I am trying to do is to make changes to the file and save it back. Unfortunately, when I try to open the file,  it opens Powerpoint on my PC and opens the file. Then I make some markups, but when I go to save it, it wants to save the changes to my PC, not to the file the file that was uploaded to Moodle. It's not like I am opening the file in Moodle and then have the ability to put it back. Instead it seems to open the file from Moodle, but using my Powerpoint app on my PC.

I just don't see a way to load a Powerpoint file to Moodle, like a student would when submitting a homework assignment, and then being able to amrk it up and save it back to Moodle. Do I need to save the markedup version to my PC and then upload it to the Assignment as a Teacher?

I'm lost.

In reply to Jim Huether

by Kathy Morello -

Microsoft Education Labs has a free download for Office that allows you to open a document in Moodle and save to Moodle.  You might try that.

In reply to Kathy Morello

by ben reynolds -

That would be the Office Add-in for Moodle http://www.educationlabs.com/projects/officeaddinformoodle/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks, Kathy. I noticed when they published this, but I didn't actually look at it. Might be quite useful for my instructors.

In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -

A followup on the Office Add-in for Moodle.

It does not work for Assignments. It only works to put and take Office files from the files directory in the classroom. It does not even see the moddata file (inside which are the folders for Assignment documents).

I'm looking at the Microsoft Live Services Plug-in for Moodle now, but I don't expect it will help where my instructors need it most, which is reducing the clicking and saving for each student's document.

In reply to Jim Huether

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Jim,
Please indeed try suggestions from Kathy and Ben.

Overall, this is how the process works without it:

Student submits a file.
You go to the assignment and click on that file. It opens. Note that it opens on your computer, not in Moodle. Once you make changes - you make them locally. On the background this file is already downloaded on your computer to the temp files. Thus, once you click Save Changes in PPT, your computer suggest you to save it somewhere else locally, rather then in its temp folder. It cannot save it to Moodle, they are not connected smile

So, once you click on student file, I would reccomend to save it somewhere locally right away, thus you would not lose your marking changes.
Then correct the work. Login back to Moodle, go  to the assignment submission and provide corrected new file back (via the Response file in the Advanced uploading of Files assignment)

hope this helps smile