Moodle 2 Javascript output

Moodle 2 Javascript output

napisao/la Mark Johnson -
Broj odgovora: 5
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Moodle 2 comes with a lovely html_writer API for outputting HTML tags, putting and end to potentially messy hand-written and echoed HTML.  It also comes with some lovely new Javascript APIs. However, I'm wondering what the preferred method is for outputting HTML from within Javascript code. Is there an html_writer implementation that I'm yet to find, should we be building DOM nodes at attaching them to the relevant parent, or should we just be echoing HTML as we used to in PHP?

U odgovoru na Mark Johnson

Re: Moodle 2 Javascript output

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Use DOM, or the YUI3 DOM wrappers, or output the bulk of HTML in PHP, but hidden, and just releal it using JS.

U odgovoru na Tim Hunt

napisao/la Mark Johnson -
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Thanks Tim,

I was thinking mainly about displaying data from AJAX requests as HTML, so DOM manipulation is probably the best option here.

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

napisao/la sam marshall -
Slika Core developers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers

Depending on the information you're displaying, it may be appropriate to make the AJAX response return html (as part or all of its return value). That way you can write the html in php.

IMO this approach is quite appropriate for 'displaying extra thing on page' type AJAX requests, especially if code is shared with a non-AJAX version to display the same type of thing. But it's not so appropriate for 'returning data to modify existing page element' type AJAX requests. Opinions might differ...

--sam