how many users with same ip?

how many users with same ip?

by H B -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I have a class of approximately 30 students that needs to login in moodle at the same time with the same ip-adress.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to log in. When I look into logs I see that they ahve loggin in successfully, but the student itself can't. They enter password and then tehy come back to the same login screen.

Is there maybe some configuration setting about the maxximum number of logins with same ip-adress that needs to be set?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H B

Re: how many users with same ip?

by Stephen Bloomer -

No two people can log in from the same IP Address at the same time.  I suspect you you have a network problem if you are trying to do so.  For a network to work, every computer must have its own address on the network.  At the same time, each computer must have its own name and each student must have their own account. 

Try runing IPCONFIG at the command prompt and check the IP details of each computer.

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Stephen, that is not quite right. Their requests might, for example, be processed via an HTTP proxy server, so that from the point of view of the Moodle server, all requests come from the same IP address.

In reply to Henning Bostelmann

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yes, there are no such restrictions. In fact the same user can login multiple times from multiple machines, in the same LAN or from different places. It is the "session" as understood in HTTP which matters. If you start two browsers in the same machine and login to the same Moodle, they are seen as two seperate "sessions" by Moodle.

The problem of the OP must be in their LAN: malconfigured proxy-servers, firewalls - local or otherwise, child-protection, borked browsers, ...

Another typical problem arises if the webserver does not have write permissions to moodledata. But if a single student can work without trouble, that cause is eliminated.
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

by Stephen Bloomer -

Moodle may show them as coming from the same IP (All my external users show as coming from the same IP which is an upstream firewall) but that it just NAT doing its job.  If the machines have the same IP on the same network it will not work.

In a local LAN situation all computers should show with their own and individual IP. 

These are not Moodle restrictions.  They are IP network protocol restrictions.  If everything else (network wise) is working then I suspect that the computers do not have the same IP and that the problem is somewhere else. 

I don't know about on a Linux workstation, but on a Windows machine I can not have two different logins to Moodle at the same time.  As soon as I open a new browser and point to Moodle.org it identifies the cookie from the first session and shows me as logged in.  Logging out in either one also causes all sessions on that computer to log out (may need a refresh to show).

I think Ben has it right.  AV software or an overstrict settings on the browser is the most likely cause.  Some AV programs will stop the loading of cookies which will stop access to Moodle. This is the first thing I would look at.

Hellen, either way, I hope our comments help will finding a solution to your problems.

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Roger Kenner -

I work with Moodle all the time and I frequently log into the same site from two or three different browsers on my Windows workstation.  This allows me to be different people at the same time, such as teacher and student.  When logged in with both Firefox and Explorer, for example, I can even demonstrate chat to people by chatting with myself.   I have never had any problems with collisions.

It is not, possible, however, to log into Moodle as two different people from the same browser.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Roger Kenner

by Stephen Bloomer -

Yes, different browsers will handle the cookie independently and work independent of each other.  This will help the technical people and those who like to play with Moodle.  The average student will click on the icon on the desktop and has no knowledge of which browser they are using.  The average school computer will not have more than one browser installed.  

Will this help Hellen identify her problem?

In reply to H B

by ben reynolds -

Hi,

If they come back to the login screen and there is NOT a note about invalid login, you most likely have security set too high on the browser and Moodle is not able to set a session cookie.

The obvious way to test this is to move the user who cannot log in to the computer of a user who can log in, close the browser, reopen the browser, and attempt to login.

In reply to ben reynolds

by H B -

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will continue investigating with the tips I got here. If the solution is found I will definitely post it here.

In reply to H B

by Eduardo Gomez -
I have Endian Community as filter content, firewall for my LAN I have moodle in a internet hosting. I have the same problem.. some times in my LAN when a whole 30 student classroom tries to log in, some students are redirected to the login screen. Also I'm having trouble uploading files from my LAN to moodle. and gives me this error. Invalid JSON string
 ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved While trying to retrieve the URL: http://cenedjjr.com/moodle2/repository/repository_ajax.php?action=upload The following error was encountered: Zero Sized Reply Squid did not receive any data for this request

I have created a rule on Endian 

All LAN traffic to moodle domain (unfiltered acccess...)

Any help?