Correct the mistakes frustration

Re: Correct the mistakes frustration

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Gordon,

There is already a "Free letter" button in the "Correct the mistakes" version, but to be able to use that they need to have already found the word to correct.

In the "Find the mistakes" version I haven't had any reports of frusration because there is a "Solution" button. (Ah! that also returns you to the course page - I hadn't noticed that before.)

I think it's a "Solution" button that I would like. Because it means that they can see the elusive last word before leaving the exercise; with the "Give up" button they never see it - not so good for feelings of frustration nor for pedagogy.

In fact, in both cases I would prefer them to stay in the unit rather than being returned to the course. This happens when the "Give up" button is clicked in a JGloss exercise. You gave an explanation last year of why this is not the case in "real" quizzes in Re: QuizPort "Give up" button because in the case where:

"Each quiz has post-conditions specifying that for a good score the student can move on to the next quiz, but for a poor score, the student will be shown the same quiz. Each quiz also has a stop button.

What should we do when the student presses the stop button in this case?

We can let them finish the quiz attempt. If we stay in the same unit attempt, then QuizPort will immediately check the post-conditions and decide that a poor score requires that the same quiz be shown again. The student will be in effect trapped in the quiz."

But in my case, there is no post-condition requiring a good score, just to go on to the next quiz. But I can imagine it's a lot of coding to combine together just one particular post-condition with the Give up button.

Cheers,

Glenys