Auto Enrolment and Course Creation using External DB

Auto Enrolment and Course Creation using External DB

by aric huang -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I am new to setting up moodle. I am not too familar with php but so far I have gotten moodle login to work with LDAP and now I need to find a way to auto enroll and create courses upon a student logging in to the site.

Our student and course information are stored on informix 10.0 and it would be best if someone can give me a few pointers as to how to get the informix loaded in php and I think i can figure out the rest.

Option 2: If not, I can write a script in asp to pull the information out of informix and stored them onto a mssql table and point external Database to that.

I would like to just be able to connect directly to informix. Also how do I check if the external db is being executed?

Server is ubuntu 10.04
moodle ver. 1.9.10
php ver. 5.3.2.1.4.5
mysql ver. 5.1.41

Average of ratings: -
In reply to aric huang

Re: Auto Enrolment and Course Creation using External DB

by Jordi Martínez -

Hi Aric,

Setting up external DB enrollment plugin for moodle 1.9.X is very easy.

People connecting Informix here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=111194 (I think they finally used ODBC)

There is a patch for ext. db enrollment plugin (very good) made by Iñaki Arenaza. Search on forums about because there are a lot of posts about it. For example: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=156504

I don't recomend you to change Moodle DB directly if improved plugin already is useful.

Good luck!

In reply to Jordi Martínez

by aric huang -

I downloaded the Patch made by Iñaki Arenaza, and extracted and made a backup of my original files before I copy them over to the right destinations.

Do I have to set a cron for the external database to execute?? or when does it get executed?

In reply to aric huang

by Jordi Martínez -

Hi Aric,

You have two types of sincronizations with plugin.

• With script by cron (or manual).
    • More difficult to set up
  • when the user logins
    • I recomend you to begin with this option.
    • When you have copied files, go to Admin menu->Courses->Enrolments
    • Enable Ext. Database
    • Edit ext. DB settings
    • When user X logins, plugin will sincronize enrolments.

Good luck!

Jordi M