Blank page after database connection screen in install.php

by Brian Beaver -
Number of replies: 6
OS - WBEL 3 (clone of RHES 3)
Webserver - apache 2.0.46
mysql - 3.23.58-1
php 4.3.2-11
moodle 1.4.2 build Nov 8, 2004.

I'm getting a blank screen on the install.php screen after filling in the mysql database information. I've created the moodle database, created a moodleuser, assigned password, and am using localhost for the server connection.

Here's the setup -

database -- mysql
host -- localhost
user -- moodleuser
password -- (verified by logging in via shell and running the moodle database as moodleuser)
table prefix - mdl_

When I click the Next button, I get a blank screen, and cannot access the install.php page again. Nothing shows up in the /var/log/httpd/access_log, /var/log/messages, or /var/log/mysqld.

Any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Beaver

Re: Blank page after database connection screen in install.php

by Martín Langhoff -
Something must be showing up in apache's error log. Increase debug levels if needed ....
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Jeff Bean -
I am having the exact same issue. I have apache's log level set to "debug" and nothing shows up in the apache error log.

These blank pages are very frustrating. How can we get more information about what is going wrong?
In reply to Jeff Bean

by Martín Langhoff -
Got any other web-based PHP app that connects to the database? YOu may be missing php-mysql modules, or not have them enabled in php.ini, or any number of other problems. Hard to tell at a distance ;)

by Jeff Bean -
This could be the case. phpinfo() shows that php was compiled with mysql support turned on, but it does not show a mysql extension present. I'm using apache and PHP that came with Fedora Core 2, but a different build of mysql, so it's entirely possible that there's a problem here. I'm going to investigate further and will let you know.

I would nonetheless like very much to see an error message instead of a blank screen. Is this lack of information a PHP deficiency or a moodle problem?
In reply to Jeff Bean

by Martín Langhoff -
Depending on what the exact problem is, it may well be PHP deciding to 'die' if the extension is not there.

Now, regardless of who's to blame, errors _must_ be showing up somewhere.

Are you sure php.ini is set log all warnings to the logs? -- the default php.ini shipped usually has really bad options set, like "don't write interesting stuff to the logs" and such. Make sure you enable E_ALL for errors and that they get written to the apache log or to syslog.

by Jeff Bean -

Indeed this was the problem. Red Hat's default php.ini was set to E_ALL, but the display_errors and log_errors and display_startup_errors were set to OFF.

Once I set those, I was able to see the problem (php wasn't built with mysql support), fix it, and I'm-a-moodlin'.

Thanks for the help.