Why does the Final Grade Change when Grades are put into Categories?

Why does the Final Grade Change when Grades are put into Categories?

by Greg Lunsford -
Number of replies: 2

Why does the final grade change when I put them in categories? How can I correct this without eliminating the categories?

These are the same except the one on the bottom is categorized, the one on the top is not and the grade without the categories mathematically makes sense.

In reply to Greg Lunsford

Re: Why does the Final Grade Change when Grades are put into Categories?

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Greg,

It looks like you are using SWM and you aggregate only non-empty grades.

So, in your second example you have student who got 716 points out of possible 1050. And none of the grades (category totals in your case) that contribute to the course total were empty.
716 is 68.19 % from 1050 points, and this is what you see.

In your first example -  you do have bunch of empty grades with SWM aggregation type. And the grade is caluclated as 162 out of possible 235 points there.
Try to  manually calculate them  using this sample formula: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category_aggregation#Simple_weighted_mean, and you will end up with that 68.94 thing.

(1x10 + 1x10 + 1x10 + 0x10 + 1x10 + 0.5x10  + 1x5 + 1x5 + 0.4x5 +1x5 +0x5 + 0.66666X150) / 235 = 0.68936...

p.s. So calculations are correct in both cases.
If you want to make the second schenario to be the same as the first one, try checking the "Aggregate including subcategories" box for the Course Total (in the Categories and Items interface).
This options needs to be enabled on your installation by the admin.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Why does the Final Grade Change when Grades are put into Categories?

by Greg Lunsford -

Thank You Elena,

This is the answer I've been waiting for I posted this problem a while ago and today I resubmitted it.

I can't tell how happy I am to find this out.

Again Thank You,

Greg Lunsford