Extra credit assignment

Extra credit assignment

by Jason Wagner -
Number of replies: 2

We are using Moodle 1.9.1 and we want to add an extra credit grade for 10 points.  This, of course, means that it doesn't count against their grade if they get a 0 on it, a 3/10 is not the equivalent of a 30% averaged in with their grades, it doesn't add 10 points to the total points in the course, etc., etc.

I saw options in the gradebook for adding it an extra credit assignment but I really didn't understand it at all, and I've been fiddling with it for a few days in a sandbox course with no success.

Can somebody please explain how to do this?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

In reply to Jason Wagner

Re: Extra credit assignment

by Linda Roesch -

Jason,

I spent weeks on extra credit and I am glad you are testing in a sandbox. First off, I had to go into the admin area under Grades and allow scores better than 100%. If you need more detail, I can go in an look and tell you the steps exactly. Then, I learned that the extra credit assignment must be a separate assignment. Check the extra credit box in front of this new assignment and the grade will be added to your final tally but not counted in the grade calculation.

I tried so many things it is difficult for me to get you a specific presecription - but give this a try. I will warn you that we are using a different version than you but I think 1.9.1 is compatible.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Linda

In reply to Jason Wagner

Re: Extra credit assignment

by Itamar Tzadok -

The extra credit works only in sum of grades. Here is one way to go about it:

• Course category - Sum of grades
    • Extra credit assignment
    • Standard credit items category - Weighted Mean
      • Assignment 1 - 30%
      • Assignment 2 - 30%
      • Final exam - 40%

Put all the items for standard grades in a category under the course category. If you use weighted mean you should set this grades category to weighted mean. Then you add the extra credit assignment to the course category and mark it as extra credit. Set the course category to sum of grades so that it will take the sum of the graded category and the extra credit assignment. That's it. hth smile

Attachment grade-extracredit.png