General help

Picture of Darren Smith
New Courses Broken - Teachers Can't Add Activities Or Resources

This is strange.

Over the last few days we have noticed that teachers cannot add resources or activities to newly created courses.  They do not see the 2 drop down boxes at the bottom of each section. They do see these drop downs in courses that were created previously mixed

Admins are unaffected. Other teacher editing rights within a course are uneffected.

Nothing has changed recently on the Moodle server.

Moodle 1.9.9+ (Build: 20100707)

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Darren Smith
Re: New Courses Broken - Teachers Can't Add Activities Or Resources

We have still not found a solution to this. Anybody got any ideas?

We are closed for Snow Days and it is causing me a massive headache having to update the new courses for teachers.

Thanks

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
Well, something has changed, because teachers cannot add stuff wink

Seriously, what was changed on the site - however unrelated it may seem?

The most likely thing is that this is some sort of roles mis-configuration. Have you changed anything to do with roles or made assignments where you don't usually? Anything? How are you assigning teachers to the correct role when new courses are created (i.e. are they really teachers)?

You should also try turning on Debugging just in case something is really broken but a roles error is most likely.

Picture of Darren Smith

Thanks a lot for the response.

The only thing we can trace as changing at around that time was the clocks! The server and moodle are both reporting the correct time.

I've looked at roles. It is not something we change. Is there a roles setting that prevents / allows access to that drop down box?

May it is a theme issue as everything else works fine for teachers. mixed.
Edit: I changed the theme to standard and it made no difference

Assigning teachers - either the assign roles link in the admin menu or the screen which appears after you create a course - which is the assign roles screen.

The strangest thing is it is only affecting newly created courses

I will have a look at debugging. Cheers.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Yes -turning on debugging might prove useful (to those who understand it!) Who has been creating the new courses? Admin? Course creators? Are they in specific categories or random? If you want a second opinion, happy to take a look if you DM me a login though I can't promise to come up with anything other than what you have already found.

Picture of Darren Smith

Thanks,

Debugging is now on but doesn't show any messages when we go in to new / broken courses and switch editing on.

In general it has been an admin creating the courses but some have been created by course creators.

The categories with the new/broken courses are all over the site.

What kind of access would you need? Admin?

Cheers

Darren

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

If you wanted to DM me an admin login yes- can't guarantee anything but sometimes two pairs of eyes are better than one and I might see something you missed? And if I don't , then at least you know you haven't missed anything obvious and we can start looking deeper

Picture of Darren Smith

Phew. I've fixed it. I got the mdl_courses table and went through it looking for differences and found something like restrict modules was set to 1 in new courses. Changing this to 0 fixed everything!

I found the setting in admin and changed it back to 'no courses'. It turns out somebody was trying to restrict access to the chat module but either selected everything or nothing.

Hope this helps anybody searching in the future.

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Jonathan Argall

YES it does help in fact I could kiss you right now … I've had this problem for months and couldn't figure it out.

I got a second set of eyes on it and my friend the DBA helped me realise it was only new courses where this problem was happening which in turn helped us find this forum. I'll get him to post the SQL code.

Thanks everyone!

Picture of dan levy

Hi i'm the "second eyes"...here's the query that fixed this issue we've been having for donkey's years. Thank you kindly smile

UPDATE  `moodle19`.`mdl_config` SET  `value` =  'none' WHERE  `mdl_config`.`name` = 'restrictmodulesfor';

UPDATE  `moodle19`.`mdl_course` SET  `restrictmodules` =  '0';

Picture of Shailesh Sharma

How to change it through Admin

Picture of Shailesh Sharma

How to change it through Admin.

Picture of Tim Hill-Scully

Hi

You need to go to Site Admin/Security/Module Security to change this option.

HTH

Picture of Jim Becker

I too have been having this same issue... upgraded to 2.5+... Don't have a Module Security to change.

Only options I see are:

Site Admin/Security/IP Blocker
Site Admin/Security/Site Policies
Site Admin/Security/HTTP Security
Site Admin/Security/Notifications
Site Admin/Security/Anti-Virus

I've looked for something similar throughout the Site Admin but found nothing. I am able to load activities to the frontpage, but no where else.

Thanks

Jim

Picture of Jim Becker

I've searched high and low for an answer... haven't found one yet. I even looked at the module.php file and it doesn't reference security at all. Any suggestions. I have both the modules.php and security.php files attached. 

Thanks

Picture of Bart Levy

Hi!

I have Moodle 2.5 and I have the same problem as Jim Becker.

When I'am login as Admin or a teacher. When I try add activities or resources to the course, the error message appears: 403 Forbidden. Access to this resource on the server is denied!

What can I do ? Help, please sad

Picture of Sakshi Goel

Picture of Bart Levy

Hi! Thanks for reply.

I've already read this manual. It's not about memory problem. About the rest I dont know how to check it  sad

Does anyone know how to solve that problem?

Regards!

Picture of Bart Levy

Problem solved!

On FTP server moodle creates folders where then uploads "things". Default that folders have 777 permissions.

My server blocked this folders from access and write, becausue of phpsuexec. When I change it to 755, every things work fine! ;)

Thanks for help everyone!

Regards,

Bart.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)