how to hide frontpage setting

how to hide frontpage setting

by raven raven -
Number of replies: 14

Dear all,

I'm newbie in moodle and I have problem in hiding frontpage setting from other users instead of admin only. I have created 2 users which are teacher and student and when I logged in using those accounts, the frontpage setting showing up also in main page. How can i disable or hide this frontpage setting from those accounts instead of admin account, because I don't want those accounts can edit or change the main page display. Thx for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to raven raven

Re: how to hide frontpage setting

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hello,

Can you attach a screen shot of the front page setting that you want to hide? There will be a way to do this (I expect just in role settings), but I am not quite sure which bit of the frontpage you mean.

In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Take a look in your site administration>front page roles and make sure you don't have anyone assigned in there - that will give them access to (limited) settings on the front page which you might be thinking of. And also  -go to site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles and make sure there is nobody assigned the role in there (except admin!!!) as that could also have an effect on what they can access on the front page.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by raven raven -

Hello,

This is the screenshot login using teacher or student account, and you can see below site administration there is frontpage menu that I want to hide/disable except for admin, I already checked also in frontpage roles and user permission as above but it has no effect. Do you know where is the problem?. Thx

Attachment 11-15-2010 8-55-39 AM.png
In reply to raven raven

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again - did you check all the settings I suggested? If you want to privately message me an admin login I will take a look and see where the problem is. Take another look at front page settings and make sure the default role is set to "none" and make sure you have no roles assigned in front page roles/

In reply to Mary Cooch

by raven raven -

Hello Mary,

Thank for your help , finally it is solved, the problem is in the frontpage setting default role, and like you said I set it to none and its disappeared from teacher and student account login. If later I have different problem I will post it in this forum. Thanks again.

In reply to raven raven

by PP Mtz -

Grettings. I have the same problem, but the above solution doesn't work for me. What could it be? I don't have  anyone assigned in the fronpage's settings. In the system's roles I only have 1 user assigned, me, in a role called 'Systems' with all the privileges. Due my server's capabilities, Iḿ working with the 1.9.16+ version. Hope you could help me. Thanks!

In reply to PP Mtz

by Adam Mark -

Site administration -> Front page -> Front page settings
Leave "Default frontpage role" as Default: Authenticated user on frontpage (frontpage)

Front page settings -> Users -> Permissions -> Assigned roles
Make sure the "Users with role" column has all 0's

Moodle 3.1 (Build: 20160523)

PS I realize this is a reply to an old post, but Google brought me here today, and this was my solution.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stephen D -

Hi I am trying to do the same thing. For some reason students do not see the "Front Page Settings" menu on the Settings block which is great.. I dont want them to.. however Trainers (I have created a custom role of trainer) which does show the Front page settings. I checked to make sure that System is not checked in the Trainer role definition. When I go to Front Page Settings  -> Edit Settings there is no 'none' option in the  Default frontpage role menu - only Student, Guest, Authenticated USer on Front Page. In Site Admin -> Front Page -> Front Page Roles I see a list of all the roles (Manager, Trainer, Student, Teacher, Non-editing Teacher) but in the USers with role colum it is 0 for each role. No user has front page roles. I cannot see why the trainer is able to see the Front Page Settings menu. Is there a permission that I have given to the trainer that is showing this menu option? The only options showing are Users->Groups (which I dont need) and Question Bank -> Questions ... which I cant understand why it is on the Front Page Settings menu. 

I am using Moodle 2.2.3

any help grateful I am struggling to pick my way through moodle settings and get a set up that suits my needs.

In reply to Stephen D

by Mary Cooch -

Well we need to know how you have made the  customTrainer role - did you base it on another role?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stephen D -

Hi, yes I based the trainer role on the course creator as my trainers need to be able to create and edit courses. Since writing my question I have figured out that I can disable groups by setting managegroups to prohibit in the roles permissons. So now the only item in the front page settings menu is the Question Bank item. I do want my trainers to be able to add questions to courses but dont want to have the Front Page Settings menu item on the front page. Can this be done?

.. would i have been better basing it on the teacher role then adding permissions to create courses?

thanks

In reply to Stephen D

by Stephen D -

Hi can anyone help with this? I have realised that if I change the capability -moodle/course:update to not set then this prevents my trainers from seeing the front page settings option on the front page. However this also prevents them from editing the courses which I want them to be able to do. I have thought about using CSS to hide these settings but not sure which class is used for the front page settings menu items, and I dont want to hide the edit settings item when its needed ie for editing course settings. It would really help if the front page wasnt structured the same as a course.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by arslan ali -

Hi mary i have a question. How would i prevent my teacher to edit front page settings. I have intentionally assign teacher in front page roles just because i am naviagating all the users to my HomePage where i need to show/hide blocks for individual roles. So i couldnt get a way to hide them until and unless i assigned users onto front page or else to assign them "System Context". 

So i am successful in show/hide blocks for specific roles but from the site home link, i am 'as a teacher' still able to edit the front page settings and editting.

Beside that i do want my teacher to edit the his course but not the front-page. Is there anything i m missing or what is the correct way.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by shiva goud -

hi,

am new to moodle i need to hide for instructor  turn editing on button in front page settings for questions pool.

can you please help me.