Need help with integrated subject grading

Need help with integrated subject grading

by Melina Peebles -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am the moodle admin for a small charter school.  We have been looking for gradebook software for some time and I just installed 1.9.9 on our server.  I have very very basic php and mysql skills.

I am looking for a way to integrate grades in the gradebook across subject areas.  For example, if a student scores an 83 on their Lab/Field Research Paper that grade needs to represent 30% of their Science grade for the quarter, 20% of their Language Arts grade, and 10% of their Math and Social Studies grades.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appriciate it.

In reply to Melina Peebles

Re: Need help with integrated subject grading

by Bob Puffer -

I'd be looking at using "calculations".

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Melina Peebles -

I tried calculations but it only seems to be affecting the course total (Advisory), not the category total (Science for example) I'm trying to alter.  But perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.

My school has mixed-grade "advisories".  One teacher is responsible for all the subject grades for students in multiple grade levels.  Integrated assignments are weighted differently into four to six seperate courses.  I am trying to set up a system where the teacher does not have to enter the same grade for the same student in multiple course gradebooks.

In other words, certain grades in the Advisory course need to be pushed into the student's Science course, some of the same gades (and a few different ones) need to be pushed into their Social Studies course etc.  To complicate it even further, not all students in the same advisory are in the same courses.  For example one student could be in Math 9 while another could be in Math 11 while another studnt may not even have a Math course.

Right now we do all this with an excel system that I set up to generate class grades and report cards.  Then our registrar has to go back and manually create credit checks for each student.

In reply to Melina Peebles

by Bob Puffer -

If I were to do this programmatically (and we've done something similar for pre-registration placement testing), I'd:

1. create a table that lists the source grade id, target grade id and weight (or some semblance of contribution).  No grades would actually need to be stored in the table, only cross-references and weights.  A record for each dependency would therefore exist for:
  2. a program to run from cron that walks the table, updating grades (in whatever course in which they live) to reflect the weighted value from the source.