quiz grade shows as 0 in grade book instead of actual grade

quiz grade shows as 0 in grade book instead of actual grade

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 4

Using 1.9.7. Student quiz grades are showing in grade book a a zero (0). The student user, when opening grades under administration block sees a zero for the grade. The instructor can click on the quiz attempts and see the grade and each question answer report for all students. Why are grades not showing in gradebook for teacher or grade report for students?

Teacher is using sum of grades for all quizzes, activities and assignments.

Activities, quizzes, assignments are not locked.

Quiz was re-graded hoping to reset grades. I am not sure what else to try.

In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: quiz grade shows as 0 in grade book instead of actual grade

by Susan Mangan -

Check to see if the students went over the time limit.  Moodle has a built in 'check' that If a student manages to exceed the alloted quiz time Moodle will automatically grade the quiz zero - but will still retain the correct answers.

To reverse the zero, extend the time/date of the quiz, make sure there is no time limit set and then click regrade.

In reply to Bill Kopf

by Pak Wong -

I had the same problem, it wasn't the time limit issue.  sumgrades in mdl_quiz was null although Maximum grade was given on the edit quiz page.  I changed the null to the desire value, it solved the problem.  It could be a bug while creating the quiz.

In reply to Pak Wong

by Kevin D -

Thanks Pak.  We had the same issue exactly, that appeared on only one quiz out of twelve within a new course.

I corrected that quiz's sumgrades value in the moodle 'mdl_quiz' table via PHPMyAdmin, then regraded the quiz via the course's quiz admin.  Students who incorrectly received zero points for each question, now received their actual points.

Using Moodle 2.x

In reply to Kevin D

by Jason Kittridge -

We had the same issue on 2 quizzes that were imported from the same previous class into 2 different classes.  Since several other quizzes worked fine, I looked for what the difference could be.  The quiz that I imported had a 'sumgrades' value that was larger than the 'grades' value.  Quizzes that had either the same or a lower 'sumgrades' value imported fine, so its possible there is a bug somewhere in the importing process that doesn't put the correct 'sumgrades' value when importing if it is larger than the 'grades' value.

Using Moodle 2.x