Issuing a Certificate using Metacourses

Issuing a Certificate using Metacourses

by Judy Tillman -
Number of replies: 6

I am trying to use the Metacourse feature where I would make a diploma course.

I have all the courses setup as meta courses (course a, course b and course c) and want to issue a diploma when all those courses are completed.

However when I create the certificate there is not an option to tie the certificate to courses a, b and c.

Yet I can make the certificate and when I i recieve the error:

Warning: mkdir(/var/www/moodledata/104/moddata/certificate/57): Permission denied in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/setuplib.php on line 189

ERROR: Could not find or create directory (/var/www/moodledata/104/moddata/certificate/57)

FPDF error: Some data has already been output to browser, can't send PDF file.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Judy Tillman

Re: Issuing a Certificate using Metacourses

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Judy,

I  created a new thread.   Your post deals with metacourses which are a different kettle of fish.   You did not indicate if the diploma course gets it's enrolments from a, b, or c, or gives automatic enrolment to them.  It could be either way.

First I do not think there is an option to make certificate dependent upon other courses as you wish.  Since it is open sourse, somebody may have figured out how to make that happen but it is not a standard certificate feature where dependencies are based upon activities within that course.

The mkdir issue could be related to a metacourse.  Sounds like permissions and over my head (I am sorry to say) .

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Judy Tillman -

Chris,

Thank you for responding. As the Metacourse examples explain, the Metacourses recieve thier enrollment from a Diploma course, But that is all the Moodle documentation explains. Have you come accross any other examples that are less vague?

The permissions issue only seems to be present in this course. All other courses outside and not attached to metacourses work perfectly.

Thank you,

Judy

In reply to Judy Tillman

Re: Issuing a Certificate using Metacourses HELP

by Chris Collman -

Hi Judy,

I like the less vague smile   I was wondering if your diploma course received its enrollment from each of the sub courses.

I do not like the parent-child concept when it comes to meta courses.  However, each meta course is a child.  Any meta course can receive it's enrollment data from one or more parent courses.   Let me try that again.  A student must be enrolled in a course to take it.   A metacourse allows automatic enrollment if the student is enrolled in one or more other specific courses.

Evidently the resulting DNA of a course's offspring can be confusing when certificate is trying to establish a student's pedigree with roles.     My biology is a little weak, but logically I would expect the issue (pun intended) to be with the metacourse, not with the course which has the orginal enrollment. This is your logic as well.

HELP!  Sounds like a bug someplace.  I will try my localhost and reply back here.

However, you will will not be able to make your diploma course certificate dependent upon receiving certificates, or passing other courses without tweaking the certificate code.  And if somebody did, that might give a clue to where the problem is at.

Chris

In reply to Judy Tillman

by Chris Collman -

Hi Judy,

I went on my localhost 1.9.9 that has certificate.  I created a parent course (grrr, in the language of Moodle this is called a child course?) It was not a metacourse.  Then I created a metacourse called metacourse1.  I put a certificate in each one and enrolled my testuser1 in the parent course.

Test user could create a certificate in both courses.

Now I am wondering if this has something to do outside of Moodle or as I said before  the roles/permission settings.  Ignore the excellent advise that only Martin should mess with roles, maybe override some of the student permissions in certificate so all 4  say "allow".  Does that change anything?

Did you look really closely at a course certificate setttings that works and the diploma certificate settings?  Like the save certificate setting?

Hope this gives you some places to look.  Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Judy Tillman -

Chris,

Thank you for trying it out on your end. I see that it is working for you.

I have reviewed the settings of every other course and compared them to the Diploma course and Metacourse.   (Metacourse inheriting Diploma Student enrollments).  The settings are the same yet still produce errors.

I have also noticed that all certificates I try to produce in this category will product the same permissions error.

I was wondering if it may be due to the fact my trial metacourse is in a subcategory:  Miscellaneous\Demonstration\ Demonstration Meta Courses

This is where I put my Diploma course and 3 metacourses.   It doesnt matter where in this category I try to create a Certificate the permission denied error will surface.

All the courses in the Miscellaneous\Demonstration and Miscellaneous categorys create certificates without errors.

Would it be possible if you would verify my theory and try to move your metacourse and Diploma course to 3 subcategorys and see if you get the same error?

In reply to Judy Tillman

by Judy Tillman -

Ok It turns out that there was a permissions issue with this certificate. I guess the permissions did not inherit as they normal do with in this series of courses.

Thanks for all your help!

Judy