Would EasyPHP cut the mustard for a trial

Would EasyPHP cut the mustard for a trial

by Neil Aubrey -
Number of replies: 4

I have been using the easyPHP install on a local windows machine which is an easy quick install of Apache, Mysql and PHP and a good way to have a first look. Would this do the job across a network with say (30) users (at the same time)?

From my reading the ideal looks like using Linux on a dedicated server, with an install of full versions of Mysql, php, Apache etc

1)How different is this to an easyPHP install?

2) Do I have to find the full version of each application at seperate sites?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Aubrey

Re: Would EasyPHP cut the mustard for a trial

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Difficult to answer - EasyPHP, as you probably know, was designed to be development platform for local use on a windows platform, not for production use. Worse still the applications involved are neither designed for or optimised for use on Windows - IIRC Apache for one advices against using Windows for production purposes. None of this, of course, means that it won't actually work for *your* application.

If you want my opinion - I wouldn't dream of running a trial or otherwise on EasyPHP. However, neither would I consider doing it on a Micro$oft platform at all, as it just seems like bother for no obvious benefit. So you can see my prejudices smile

To answer the second part(s) of your question, most modern Linux distros come with all this stuff built in and should be very easy to use - in many respects easier/better than EasyPHP. What you won't get is the nice integrated configuration interface that EasyPHP has, so you may well find yourself having to spend some time with the documentation and find the configuration files you need (although you probably won't have to change them). It is very unlikely that you would have to download anything from other sites.

I use and can recommend SuSE's distro. It runs Moodle out of the box. The only (very small) issue I have found is that you must specify an SMTP server for mail in moodle as SuSE's PHP's sendmail interface seems to be broken.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Neil Aubrey -

Thanks

Just the answer I was looking for. If you are going to go "moodeling" you may as well go  "LAMPING" or something like that.

In reply to Neil Aubrey

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well that is *exactly* my line on the subject!
In reply to Neil Aubrey

by Bob Boufford -

Neil,

There was a similar discussion awhile back. Take a look at XAMPP, http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html . I found it much easier to manage than dealing with the various Linux RPMs. One advantage to XAMPP suggested by another Moodle administrator is the ability to set up the same or similar directory structure on different systems. Right now I have XAMPP running on both a RH 7.3 Linux system and a Windows sever. The only difference in the directory structure is the "C:" drive designator in Windows. Makes it easier when moving files around.

Cheers,

Bob