Can you set up an open ended workshop?

Can you set up an open ended workshop?

by Sarah Honeychurch -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I have a colleague who wants to use Workshop informally, so that the submission date is open ended but as soon as there are submissions they are sent to all other students who have submitted.

So he wants to leave the submission end way into the future, but put the assessment date a few days after submissions start.

Is this possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Honeychurch

Re: Can you set up an open ended workshop?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

No. The Workshop 2.0 is designed so that assessment phase can not overlap with the submission phase. Even if you do not set the submission end date, you still have switch the workshop into the assessment phase so that the peer assessment can happen. This is intentional feature.

If your colleague wants such informal process, he can use Forum or Database module (or Glossary) to just collect students' work and make it available to the others. The assessment would be done via forum replies or entry comments.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Sarah Honeychurch -

Thanks, David - that's what I thought.

He does not want a forum, as he wants them to submit before they see the work of others.  But that is surmountable.

Now, I'm University of Glasgow, so we are Moodle 1.9 (I think).  I realise you are Workshop 2, but what will happen with late submissions in Workshop 1?  If students submit after the initial assessments have been sent out, will theirs still be sent and will they still be able to peer assess?

Sorry if I am asking questions in the wrong place - I've only just (tomorrow) started working in a Moodle support role.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Wouter Baars -

So if I get this right, it is not possible to switch to assessment phase and have people send in (late) work? Is it true that sending in work will be blocked once you switch into assessment mode?

that would not be so handy for what I want....

In reply to Wouter Baars

by Sam Mudle -

So if I get this right, it is not possible to switch to assessment phase and have people send in (late) work? Is it true that sending in work will be blocked once you switch into assessment mode?

that would not be so handy for what I want....

Yeah as a high school teacher, I worry about that too.  What happens is that I have to set a due date, and then wait another week before setting the workshop to assessment mode.

This results in long delays in feedback which defeats the purpose of a workshop a bit.

I just set the workshop from assessment mode back to submission mode when a student turns it in late.  Try that.