Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View assignment)

by Sally Cowmeadow -
Number of replies: 26

i'm wondering if anyone has seen this error before and sorted it out ?

I have been putting on "online text assignments" within the courses on moodle.  When i click on the assignment - it works perfectly - woohooo

unfortunately, when a student clicks on teh assignment they are given this error within a red box.

Do i have some settings wrong ???? anyone know how to fix it ? i've tried a few things but to no avail.

any response is appreciated !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sally Cowmeadow

Re: Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View assignment)

by ben reynolds -

Several possibilities.

1. You've changed student capabilities to prevent/prohibit?
  2. More likely, the assignment is not in the current classroom but in a template or another classroom. To check this, compare the URL the student is using with the URL of the actual assignment.
  3. The assignment is hidden (eye closed).
  4. There's a date to start and finish and students are outside of those dates.
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View assignment)

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Ben thank you so much for replying !

1. You've changed student capabilities to prevent/prohibit?

~~~~~~ Check ! I haven't touched permissions, but i have reset the default for student just to make sure !

1. More likely, the assignment is not in the current classroom but in a template or another classroom. To check this, compare the URL the student is using with the URL of the actual assignment.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Check ! The URL is the same

1. The assignment is hidden (eye closed).

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Check ! The eye is wide open ! lol

1. There's a date to start and finish and students are outside of those dates.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Check - the dates are disabled!!!

am i being dull ????? lol i'm sure it's something so simple but i just can't see what the problem is !

by ben reynolds -

You have groups and the student is not in a group. Or grouping...

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Hi Ben, nope, have never used groups.  the site is not live as yet, just having my staff sign up as a student so that i can use them as guinea pigs to fidn any bugs before we do actually go live, and they have all noticed that they cannot view the assignments, all registered as students.

by Alejandro Michavila Pallarés -

I think It has something to do with functions has_capability() and require_capability() at lib/accesslib.php.

by ben reynolds -

One more idea. Is it possible that your staff signing up as students are in the Moodle site elsewhere with a different role? If so, you may have some capability conflicts.

Try creating a totally new student in site * Administration > Users >  Accounts >  Add a new user

Then add the student to the classroom via classroom admin > assign roles > student and see what happens.

Also, by default, all users in recent versions of Moodle are "authenticated users." Check those permissions to make sure view assignment is set to "not set."

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

does your course have guest access? Are the teachers definitely accessing it as enrolled students and not looking at it as guests?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Mary my coruses do not have guest access.  and the teachers are definately all enrolled as students smile

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Hi I have checked all of those things !

my site isn't live yet, when you have time, do you fancy having a nosey around ? see if you can see something i can't ?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Sally - not sure if you are talking to Ben or me (or both) but I am happy to take a look if you can privately message me an admin login and URL of your site?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Following up behind Mary, I'll be glad to have a look, too.

In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -

Sally,

In Site  Administration > Users >  Permissions >  Define roles > student, you are missing permissions for Assignment. Right above the permissions of Chat, you should see

Assignment
Grade assignmentmod/assignment:grade

XSS risk

Submit assignmentmod/assignment:submit

View assignmentmod/assignment:view

And it isn't there. It appears this is true for all your roles. We have now officially gone beyond my knowledge. I have a Windows for Moodle version of 1.9.9, and Assignment shows there.

So, I think something has glitched, and I am *guessing* that the absence of permissions at the site level prevents anyone but the admin, who has the capability "do anything" from viewing the assignment. Right. I added Thomas as an Assessor, and he cannot view the Assignment.

On a related note, something else odd. I created a fake student called ben student1. I added him to the one course you mentioned in your PM. But his profile lists all the courses on your site as being his courses. That is not right. He should only show the 1 course.  And ben student1 is definitely not a site wide role.

Let's see if Mary has any bright ideas tomorrow. I'll also see if I can get Roles & Capabilities interested.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Hi Ben

thanks for looking! I would never have noticed it as it's the first moodle installation I’ve ever done.

I remember you asking me whether I’ve altered or edited rather, any php scripts.  Definitely not. But I have had a thought.

When I first set up moodle, I was having problems with log in.  It all started after I installed a pretty theme lol.  Once I installed the theme, it would always throw me to a blank page when I log in - all users.  I then took the theme off and it looked stupid, the formatting had gone from the front page.  I looked through the forums, and one guy had the same problem and said it was to do with the textlibclass.php file.

I downloaded the file which he was sharing in the forum and uploaded it to my site.  Obviously it didn't work, so I deleted moodle and done a fresh install.

That done the job, and I didn’t use any pretty themes any more lol

I am assuming the new install would have superseded the old textlib.class.php file?

do you think it's worth downloading moodle again and uploading the text.class.php file fresh see if that works ?

Sally

by Sally Cowmeadow -

actually scrap the textlib.class.php file, i replaced it and still have the same problem.  process of ilimination i suppose, but that's the only php script i touched !

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Sally - I think it is Ben's turn to be asleep now so I'll have a go - I only just found out you were in the UK; I had assumed you were in the US like Ben. I posted on the other forum thread Ben started that I saw this as a bug in a weekly release of an older version of Moodle  but that doesn't explain how you have got in on 1.9.9 However,  if you are happy reinstalling from scratch and don't have any important details on your current install then I would definitely advise it as you seem to have something missing on the version  you have now. Also Ben said the student he created appears in all the courses -can you go to site admin>users>permissions>user policies and check your default user is authenticated user and NOT student? It shouldn't be student.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Sally - just got your site details -will go in and take a look. First thing I notice is you have your students assigned via users>permissions>assign system roles - nobody normally should be assigned there and certainly not students as that means they are enrolled in all the courses.Secondly you are there as admin so you don't need to assign yourself as global course creator or assessor - as admin you can do anything. Your teachers (which  you call assessors) are also assigned globally-unless you have particular reasons for this then again they would just be made teachers in their own courses not throughout the site.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Ok back again - basically not much different from Ben - the whole section on being able to view assignments is missing - screenshot attached -and users are automatically enrolled in all courses even though the normal settings appear correct. I turned on debugging and am attaching the screenshot for others - I repeat what I said earlier - if you are happy to reinstall the latest version of Moodle 1.9.9 then try that as there is definitely something awry with this one.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sally Cowmeadow -

hi mary

thanks so much for getting back to me.  yeah when Ben was replying i was sleeping !!! well trying to with a poorly 1 year old !

I dont mind doing a fresh install.  do you think i should delete my db and make a new one ?

sal

by Mary Cooch -

Yes -delete  everything and start from scratch again and then post back.

by ben reynolds -

People with sick 1 year olds do not sleep.

I'm over here moaning about Sally having to start all over again. I'm sorry for your double pains.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sally Cowmeadow -

TADA !!!!!

well i have done a completely fresh install.  just finished setting it up and looked into the student privelages and i can see the assignment module !! YAYAYAYAY

Thank you Ben and Mary for your patience !!! You are true superstars

by the way, i am a pro at installing moodle now ! hahahha

thanks again ! let's hope it all works this time !

by Mary Cooch -

Great stuff smile  I reckon something must just have got missed out on the previous install- celebration time- as it is nearly 7pm that is time for a drink smile

by ben reynolds -

Yippee!

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sally Cowmeadow -

Works like a good 'un !  Thank you both for your time and help!

One thing i did notice though this time round, when i uploaded the moodle files first time round, there were about 5,000 or so files.  This time i done the upload there were just over 10,000 files to upload, using ftp. Very strange !

sally

by Mary Cooch -

not strange -just proves not all of them came over first time round I suppose !

by Ahmad Fahim Ayub -

Role Switching error

This post dates back to 2010, but something that I experienced I would like to share here. When you get an error like this, it is likely that at the time of "switching role" from Teacher to "Non-editing teacher" or "Student" you won't longer have the privilege to see that particular page on which you were at. For example, you may be looking at enrolled users table and you suddenly switch your role then you get this error. But, if you notice your role under your profile image at the right corner of the screen, you can see your role has been switched to what you wanted.

You can navigate back to view the course by clicking the link title in the breadcrumb or go to My courses.

If  you are in a less restricted page like Course detail view. Switching roles should be smooth.

This indicates that the role permissions on a Moodle installation may not be incorrect unless it had been altered previously. I found that before diving deeper into inspecting permission configuration it is a good idea to understand the common logic behind why the system threw that error to me, and I think back the steps I performed to see if I can regenerate the same error again since a large number of developers' error reports are very generalized to cover unforeseen circumstances.