No group support?

No group support?

by Tom Hogan -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

We have been testing this module for a while and it looks great, but we really need group support as we want to use it to practice vocabulary in courses where students use different vocabulary books/glossaries.

I.e. we want to make one game based on vocabulary from glossary A and another game based on vocabulary from glossary B.

Does this module not support groups? I have not found any setting for it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Hogan

Re: No group support?

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Now does not support groups.

Tell  me more details how imagine this and how will be the parameters. May be I do it in the future.

In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

by John Andrewartha -

If I can put my 2 cents worth in as well.

I would like to extend the concept of groups to include multiple intelligence.

When a student enters a course they are placed in a group.  For the purpose of the games module they will all see the same glossary.   However students in group A would like to work with a specific category of the glossary while other groups have there own categories.  All in the same course.   It would also be very useful if when a student from category A reaches a level of competency they are automatically moved up to a higher level of challenge.

The games module is a credit to you and I congratulate you on your exceptional efforts.

John

by Tom Hogan -

I am not sure what you mean by your question. I am not a developer, so I do not know if there are many ways to do this/different parameters for it.

I thought there is a standard way to implement group support:

Almost all the core modules and many contributed modules support groups, so that if a module (both Content or Activity) is added to a course that has groups and groupings, you can define access and/or visibility for the module in the interface for editing the module.

If your module supported groups (and, by the way, support for Grade category would also be great!), there would be a section under editing the module (the interface where you choose what game to use, where questions are taken from, game specific settings, etc.) called

"Common module settings"

It would have boxes and choices

• Group mode
  • Grouping
  • Available for group members only
  • Visible
  • ID number
  • Grade category

As far as I know (and the title for the section is Common module settings, after all) this is standard interface/parameters for modules. If you look at the Edit/Settings page of any core activity, for example a Quiz, you will see what I mean (you may have to click the "Show advanced" button to see all the options I listed above).

I hope you will implement this, as it is a standard feature for Moodle modules and one that we rely heavily on, as I mentioned in my original post. We really love these games, so it would be a shame if we can't use them!

Best,

T

by Tom Hogan -

I re-read this thread, and I wonder if you misunderstood me when asking about more details.

I did not mean for the module to be able to pull in different kinds of glossaries based on group membership, for example having only one instance of Games pull words from Glossary A when a member of the A group uses it and from Glossary B when a member of the B group uses it.

That would be great, come to think of it, but I would happily make two instances of the Games module, just as I do now with Quizzes:

1. Hangman for Vocabulary A (the Game module set to use Hangman and set to only be visible to group A in the course)
  2. Hangman for Vocabulary B (the Game module set to use Hangman and set to only be visible to group B in the course)
In reply to Tom Hogan

by Tom Hogan -

Hello, It's been a while since we posted the above and I was wondering if you have given any more consideration to this and if there is anything else I can provide to help in this process?