Newbie Administrator

Newbie Administrator

by Bethany Emory -
Number of replies: 6

We are using Moodle 1.98 and would prefer to remove the Upload a Single FIle from the dropdown list of choices for faculty. (Notoriously faculty are far happier with the Advanced Uploading - but get confused when having both to select from)

Is it possible to control that list somewhere.  Also is it possible to edit the Name of Advanced uploading of files if we can do the first and change it to FIle Upload assignment or something similar?

Any support is appreciated!

Thanks-

Bethany

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bethany Emory

Re: Newbie Administrator

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can change the names of things by going to site admin>language>language editing>edit words and phrases and choosing the appropriate file - in this case - assignment.php

As for getting rid of the advanced uploading of files type I can't see a way within Moodle of hiding it - the only way I could think of would be disabling that particular assignment type it on the server in the moodle/mod directory - on the other hand you could go back to language editing and change its name to DO NOT USE or something similar smile I suppose

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Awny Jadon -

Hi

I have a question to ask. How can I change the email address of a teacher that receives the notification every time a student uploads an essay for a certain course and in general? I have managed to do so for the feedback email for the student when the teacher grades the essay in a certain course (the same process could be done for each course correct?) and thought I did so for the teacher but apparently not. I need help.

Thanks
Awny

In reply to Awny Jadon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What do you mean change the email address of a teacher tht receives the notification? Do you mean change the teacher's email address? WHich you do by clicking on their profile>edit profile and changing their address? Or do you mean changing the actual teacher who gets the emails? Any teacher in the course would normally get email alerts if that box has been checked in the assignment settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Awny Jadon -

No I mean the teacher who would be responsible for receiving the essay notifications when a student uploads an assignment and the feedback to that student from the same teacher when he/she grades it.  Awny

In reply to Bethany Emory

by Dominique-Alain Jan -
Picture of Testers

Bethany Faber wrote on Wednesday 20 October 2010:

(...)would prefer to remove the Upload a Single FIle from the dropdown list of choices for faculty. (...) Is it possible to control that list somewhere

Yes you can, if you have an ftp or direct access to your web folders on your server. The "Advanced Upload" together with all the other assignement types are in :

/path/to/moodle/folder/mod/assignment/type/

Here you can delete the assignment type you would stop to offer to your staff.

To change the name of the assignment types, you have to edit the language file which is in :

/path/to/moodle/folder/lang/en_utf8/assignement.php

But to avoid loosing you chage whenever you upgrade your Moodle time to time, you would better to user Admin feature to edit language files, that way :

1. Go to : Site Administration->Language->Language editing
  2. Select your language file from the pop up menu
  3. Select file assigment.php from the pop up menu
  4. Search for "typeupload" and then edit the string
  5. Save changes

This create a special local language file (eg en_utf8_local) that will remain even if the original file is upgraded in the future.

-dajan

In reply to Dominique-Alain Jan

by Bethany Emory -

Hi Dajan-

This worked - almost perfectly.  I removed the upload folder (From the mod/assignment/type folder - made a backup of course so I can out it back if I have done something wrong!) - but the choice (Upload a single file) remains in the dropdown list when adding an activity.

When faculty choose Upload a single file - they are taken to a (what we like to call) a white screen of death.  The browser just hangs.  Is it possible to remove the dropdown choice somewhere?

Thanks!

Bethany