Gradebook showing "0"

Gradebook showing "0"

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Gordon,

We have had a problem with a few students complaining that although they scored 100% on a quizport the gradebook shows their score to be 0. This only seems to have happened with a few students. I logged in under a couple of the "offending" students and tried a few activities- the gradebook showed the correct scores- "100%".

When we look at activity reports the scores to show 100%.

The settings for all quizports are (see next post in this thread)

As I said, the problem only appeared with some students- any thoughts on why this may have happened? And how it may be resolved? Any one else report the same problems, I wonder?

Could the problem be a student opening multiple windows at the same time and using one window as their crib attempt quiz and the other as their real attempt?

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Gradebook showing "0"

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Robert,

copying and pasting the settings didn't work very well, so I have removed them and put them in the attached text file.

Please could you attach a screenshot of what you want us to see?

I have heard of the QUizPort grades not making it into the Moodle gradebook, before. If you change the "Grade weighting" or "Grade limit" for the QuizPoprt then the grades are recalcualted so that should fix it for a single QuizPort.

Or are you saying the QuizPort unit attempt grade is 0% when it shuold be 100%?

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon

OK, hopefully the 2 attached screenshots will help explain the problem... On the left is the activity report for one student- showing scores. On the right is that student's gradebook for the same activities- as you can see, it shows "0" for the same activities.

When I logged in as that student, and tried a quizport, activity report and gradebook scores matched, showing normal behaviour. As I said, this problem was not seen to have occurred in all students' cases- but it was quite widespread.

Quizport settings were:

available dates: disabled

time limit: disabled

delay 1 and 2: 2 mins

grading: highest

max: 100

grade weighting: 100

attempt grading method: total

quizport version: 2008033192

Hope you can help.....

Cheers

Robert

(Edited by Gordon Bateson - original submission Tuesday, 19 October 2010, 08:40 AM)

Attachment quizport.unitgrades.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Robert,
thanks for that. I split the screenshot into two narrower ones, so that it shows up OK on the Moodle forums
Gordon

Attachment quizport.gradebook.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert,

this looks very much like the situation that Gerald reported. In Gerald's case it was fixed by updating to the very latest version of the QuizPort module. Please could you check  that you are using at least QuizPort version 2008033195.

thanks
Gordon

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon

We got the admins to update to 2008033195. But the problem seems to still persist. I think you can still access our site if you think that would help, please take a look at Kosaka campus- fall semester comprehensive english B or D to see for yourself....

Cheers

Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert,

to my personal email address, could you please send the URL of a QuizPort you would like me to investigate . Also, please give me enough Moodle privileges to be able to look at the settings for that QuizPort.

thanks
Gordon

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon

I think I may have fixed the problem. In another course with only a few users that had attempted quizports, I clicked on "quizports" and then "select all" and then "regrade selected". This seems to have eliminated the "0"s in the gradebook and it put the correct scores in the gradebook that matched the activity reports... Anyway, your thoughts on this before I replicate this action with other courses with many users...

Cheers

Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert,
well done - that would definitely fix it.

However ...

I did something else which forced all QuizPort grades on all courses to be recalculated on your site. I reset the "version" of QuizPort in the "modules" table to 2008033188, and this forced the recalculation of the grades that was supposed to be done in the upgrade to version 2008033189 of QuizPort.

I checked that the grades for "Unit 9-3: Self-study - Party menu" seem to have been recalculated, and then I did the activity myself as a students and checked that my grade was correctly recorded in the Moodle grade book.

It is a bit puzzling for me that the recalculation of grades for  QuizPort version 2008033189 doesn't appear to have happened on your site, but anyway I think your grade book is in good order now. Please could you check and confirm when you have a moment.

regards
Gordon

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon

Magic! I have checked a couple of courses and the gradebook is behaving normally- many thanks for that! Much appreciated...

Cheers

Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for confirming Robert.

We'll have to keep an eye out in case anyone else reports a gradebook full of 0%'s.

all the best
Gordon